Finding the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions.

In summary: Thanks for the reply, clamtrox. I get what the equation of a straight line is: y=mx+b, but I'm not sure what you mean for finding dx/dy from those equations. There is also a dz.
seeingstars63

Homework Statement

Prove that the shortest path between two points in three dimensions is a straight line. Write the path in the parametric form:

x=x(u) y=y(u) z=z(u)

and then use the 3 Euler-Lagrange equations corresponding to ∂f/∂x=(d/du)∂f/∂y'.

Homework Equations

Stated them above:]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found all of the answers in relation to the Euler-Lagrange equations, but I am not sure where to go from there. For each coordinate, ∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y,∂f/∂z, they all equal 0 so that means that d/du(∂f/∂x,y,z) are all also zero. As a result, I get constants for each and hence don't know how to implement these constants into a straight line equation.

The constants are :
∂L/∂x'=x'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_1
∂L/∂y'=y'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_2
∂L/∂z'=z'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_3

Physics news on Phys.org
seeingstars63 said:
The constants are :
∂L/∂x'=x'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_1
∂L/∂y'=y'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_2
∂L/∂z'=z'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_3

What's the equation for a straight line? Can you find for example dx/dy from these equations?

Thanks for the reply, clamtrox. I get what the equation of a straight line is: y=mx+b, but I'm not sure what you mean for finding dx/dy from those equations. There is also a dz.

seeingstars63 said:
Thanks for the reply, clamtrox. I get what the equation of a straight line is: y=mx+b, but I'm not sure what you mean for finding dx/dy from those equations. There is also a dz.

Yes, but perhaps a more useful way to write that equation is [itex]y = \frac{dy}{dx}x + y(0)[/itex].

seeingstars63 said:

Yes sorry, that was bad notation. I of course mean partial derivatives: ∂x/∂y = x'(u)/y'(u)

FAQ: Finding the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions.

1. What is the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions?

The equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions is given by z = mx + ny + b, where m and n are the slope of the line in the x and y directions, respectively, and b is the z-intercept.

2. How is the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions derived?

The equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions is derived using the slope-intercept form of a line, y = mx + b, by extending it to include the z coordinate. This results in the equation z = mx + ny + b.

3. What is the significance of the slope in the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions?

The slope in the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions represents the rate of change of z with respect to x or y. It determines the steepness of the line and can be used to find the x and y coordinates of any point on the line.

4. Can the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions can also be written in vector form as r = r0 + td, where r0 is the position vector of a point on the line, t is a scalar parameter, and d is the direction vector of the line.

5. How can the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions be used in real-world applications?

The equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions can be used to model and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as motion, forces, and electric fields. It can also be used in engineering and architecture for designing structures and creating computer graphics.