Finding the equations of a graph

• Thread starter Missionz12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding two equations to make a piecewise function in a College Algebra project. The problem involves finding the equation for a roller coaster track, with one parabola changing from turning down to turning up at x = 15. There is confusion about whether the graph is a parabola or a cubic, and the lack of proper labeling and drawing of the graph makes it difficult to solve.
Missionz12
I am trying to do a College Algebra project and I am having difficulty findimg the two equations that make the piecewise function in the pictures below.

Letting y be the number of meters the track is above or below the ground
and x the number of meters horizontally from the high point, write the
equation/s expressing y in terms of x for the roller coaster track. The
parabola changes from turning down to turning up at x = 15.

ef47a3b5a9ab85de09af4efe115857fe5g.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Missionz12 said:
I am trying to do a College Algebra project by myself as my two partners are not available and I need to find the two equations that make the piecewise function in the pictures below.

Letting y be the number of meters the track is above or below the ground
and x the number of meters horizontally from the high point, write the
equation/s expressing y in terms of x for the roller coaster track. The
parabola changes from turning down to turning up at x = 15.
Are you given that it is a "parabola"? If so your graph can't possibly be right. A parabola is always concave upward or always concave downward.

If, instead, this might be cubic, which is what your graph looks like, then y= [itex]ax^3+ bx^2+ cx+ d[/itex] and putting in four values for x and y gives you four linear equations to solve for a, b, c, d.

ef47a3b5a9ab85de09af4efe115857fe5g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is TWO different parabolas thus a piecewise function, One parabola opening downward and one opening upward. The downward opening parabola ends at (15,12.25) and the upward opening parabola starts at (15,12.25)

I believe that the problem is that the graph is badly drawn, If I could find the vertex of the two parabolas I could easily find the leading coefficient and have my equation in a matter of seconds, but the axis arent labeled properly nor is the line very well.

Related to Finding the equations of a graph

1. What is the process for finding the equation of a graph?

The process for finding the equation of a graph involves identifying the type of function that best fits the data points on the graph, determining the coordinates of key points, and then using those points to create an equation in the form y = mx + b. The values of m and b can be found using various methods, such as slope-intercept form or point-slope form.

2. What information is needed to find the equation of a graph?

To find the equation of a graph, you will need the coordinates of at least two points on the graph. These points can be found by looking at the x and y values of specific data points or by using the slope and y-intercept of the line represented by the graph.

3. What are the different types of equations that can be used to represent a graph?

There are several different types of equations that can be used to represent a graph, depending on the type of data being represented. Some common types of equations include linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and logarithmic equations. Each type of equation has a specific form and can be used to model different types of relationships.

4. Can all graphs be represented by an equation?

No, not all graphs can be represented by a single equation. Some graphs may require a combination of equations to accurately represent the data. Additionally, certain types of data may not have a mathematical relationship that can be easily modeled by an equation, making it impossible to find an equation that fits the graph perfectly.

5. How can I check if my equation accurately represents the graph?

One way to check if your equation accurately represents the graph is to plug in some of the coordinates from the graph into the equation and see if the resulting values match the y values on the graph. You can also use technology, such as graphing calculators or online graphing tools, to graph the equation and compare it to the original graph.