Finding the exact length of the curve (II)

In general, $\sqrt{a+b} \ne \sqrt a + \sqrt b$, so equation (2) is not correct. This is why your solution is not valid and you cannot simply split the integral into two parts as you did. Instead, you need to use the correct formula for integrating $\sqrt{1 + (9\sqrt{x})^2}$.
shamieh
Find the exact length of the curve

$0 \le x \le 1$

\(\displaystyle y = 1 + 6x^{\frac{3}{2}}\) <-- If you can't read this, the exponent is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle
\therefore y' = 9\sqrt{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \int ^1_0 \sqrt{1 + (9\sqrt{x})^2} \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \int ^1_0 \sqrt{1 + 81x} \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle
= \int^1_0 1 + 9\sqrt{x} \, dx\)

Now can't I just split the two integrals separately to obtain:

\(\displaystyle x + 6x^{\frac{3}{2}} |^1_0 \) <-- If you can't read this, the exponent is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

Thus getting: \(\displaystyle 1 + 6 = 7? \)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Find the exact length of the curve

\(\displaystyle y = 1 + 6x^{\frac{3}{2}}\) <-- If you can't read this, the exponent is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle
\therefore y' = 9\sqrt{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \int ^1_0 \sqrt{1 + (9\sqrt{x})^2} \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \int ^1_0 \sqrt{1 + 81x} \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle
= \int^1_0 1 + 9\sqrt{x} \, dx\)

Now can't I just split the two integrals separately to obtain:

\(\displaystyle x + 6x^{\frac{3}{2}} |^1_0 \) <-- If you can't read this, the exponent is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

Thus getting: \(\displaystyle 1 + 6 = 7? \)

There is a little questionable point because $\displaystyle \sqrt{1 + 81\ x} \ne 1 + 9\sqrt{x}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
There is a little questionable point because $\displaystyle \sqrt{1 + 81\ x} \ne 1 + 9\sqrt{x}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

How is that \(\displaystyle \ne\) ?

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1} = 1\) , \(\displaystyle \sqrt{81} = 9 \), \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{x}\)

shamieh said:
How is that \(\displaystyle \ne\) ?

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1} = 1\) , \(\displaystyle \sqrt{81} = 9 \), \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{x}\)

The symbol $\ne$ means 'not equal to'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The symbol $\ne$ means 'not equal to'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I understand what the symbol means, my question is tho, why is it \(\displaystyle \ne\) to the solution i proposed... \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\) is just itself still \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\) all we did was square x to make it \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\) . How can you say that x square rooted isn't = to \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\)

What am I not seeing here?

because if we have x then decide to square root x , we will just end up with \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\)

What I meant to say is that You wrote something like...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{1 + 81\ x}\ dx = \int_{0}^{1} (1 + 9\ \sqrt{x})\ dx\ (1)$

... but it isn't true because [as You can easily verify...] for $0 < x \le 1$ is...

$\displaystyle \sqrt{1 + 81\ x} \ne 1 + 9\ \sqrt{x}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

... in other words, it is NOT TRUE that $\sqrt{a+b} = \sqrt a + \sqrt b$.

Related to Finding the exact length of the curve (II)

1. What is the purpose of finding the exact length of a curve?

The purpose of finding the exact length of a curve is to accurately measure the distance of a curved line, which is often necessary in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can also help in understanding the shape and behavior of the curve.

2. How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve can be calculated using calculus, specifically integration. By breaking the curve into infinitesimal straight segments and adding them together, we can find the total length of the curve. This process is known as integration or the arc length formula.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of finding the exact length of a curve?

The accuracy of finding the exact length of a curve can be affected by the level of precision of the measuring tools, the smoothness of the curve, and the method used for calculation. In some cases, an approximation may be necessary due to the complexity of the curve.

4. Can the exact length of any curve be found?

In theory, the exact length of any curve can be found using integration. However, in practice, it may not always be possible due to the limitations of technology and the complexity of the curve. In some cases, an approximation may be used to estimate the length.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the exact length of a curve?

Finding the exact length of a curve has numerous real-life applications, such as determining the distance traveled by a moving object along a curved path, calculating the curvature of a road for construction purposes, and finding the surface area of a 3D object with curved edges. It is also used in fields such as architecture, art, and design to ensure accurate measurements.