Finding the extension of a spring

In summary: So, we have that the spring is already extended ##x_0##. We want to find the equilibrium position. So, we have that the force from the spring is ##F_s = -kx_0##, and the force from the mass is ##F_m = mg##. At equilibrium, those two forces are equal and opposite. So, we have ##mg = kx_0##. We want to find ##x_0##. We are given that ##m = 5.10204## and we were given that ##k = 4000##. So, ##x_0 = \frac{50}{4000}##.ChetIn summary,
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

A weight of ##50## N is suspended from a spring of stiffness ##4000## N/m and is subjected to a harmonic force of amplitude ##60## N and frequency ##6## Hz.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ##W = mg = 50##, we have that the suspended mass, ##m = 5.10204##, and we know that ##f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi} = 6## so ##\omega = 12\pi##. The harmonic forcing term is then
$$
F(t) = 60\cos(12\pi t)
$$
and our equation of motion is
$$
\ddot{x} + \frac{4000}{5.10204}x = \frac{60}{5.10204}\cos(12\pi t).
$$
Solving the transient and steady solution, we obtain
$$
x(t) = A\cos(28t) + B\sin(28t) - 0.0184551\cos(12\pi t)
$$
How do I determine the extension of spring from the suspended mass? This value would then be ##x(0) = x_0##. Additionally, I will assume any motion starts from rest so ##\dot{x}(0) = 0## which leads to ##B = 0## and ##A## can be defined as ##x_0 - \frac{F_0}{k - m\omega^2}## where ##\omega = 12\pi## and ##F_0 = 60##
$$
x(t) = (x_0 + 0.0184551)\cos(28t) - 0.0184551\cos(12\pi t)
$$
Would the extension of the spring simply be, ##F = kx## where ##F = 50## so
$$
x_0 = \frac{F}{k} = \frac{1}{80}\mbox{?}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
1/80 what? Lightyears? Attometers? Quoting units is very important in physics ...

You problem statement is missing a question so it is difficult to understand exactly what the problem you wish to solve is.

For the equilibrium point, the forces of gravity and from the spring need to cancel. Which leads to the equation yoy are quoting in the end.

What is the question here? What are you trying to do?

Orodruin said:
1/80 what? Lightyears? Attometers? Quoting units is very important in physics ...

You problem statement is missing a question so it is difficult to understand exactly what the problem you wish to solve is.

For the equilibrium point, the forces of gravity and from the spring need to cancel. Which leads to the equation yoy are quoting in the end.
What is the extension of the spring? The units are trivial to solve for N/(N/m).

nasu said:
What is the question here? What are you trying to do?

What is the extension of the spring?

Dustinsfl said:
What is the extension of the spring? The units are trivial to solve for N/(N/m).

The point is that units are important. I am perfectly aware of how they propagate but you need to provide your values with units throughout. Your answer is not 1/80, it is 1/80 m. Just saying 1/80 has no meaning as a length.

Extension of the spring when? Based on the information you have given it is oscillating. Do you need to find it as a function of time or the average extension? This is why we ask you to provide the problem exactly as stated word by word.

I believe you have answered the question about the equilibrium extension yourself already.

Likes Dustinsfl
Orodruin said:
The point is that units are important. I am perfectly aware of how they propagate but you need to provide your values with units throughout. Your answer is not 1/80, it is 1/80 m. Just saying 1/80 has no meaning as a length.

Extension of the spring when? Based on the information you have given it is oscillating. Do you need to find it as a function of time or the average extension? This is why we ask you to provide the problem exactly as stated word by word.

I believe you have answered the question about the equilibrium extension yourself already.

I know it is oscillating. The question just says "the extension of the spring due to the suspended weight"

What Orodruin is getting at is: where is the mass located to start with (at t = 0), what is the velocity of the mass initially (at t = 0), and what is the force as a function of time (starting from t = 0)?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What Orodruin is getting at is: where is the mass located to start with (at t = 0), what is the velocity of the mass initially (at t = 0), and what is the force as a function of time (starting from t = 0)?

Chet

##x(0) = x_0## not giving, ##\dot{x}(0) = \dot{x}_0## not giving but I am assuming it is zero, and the forcing function ##F(t)## is in the statement. I believe finding the springs extension is going to be the initial position.

For the initial conditions you assumed, it looks like you did the problem correctly. So what is it you want us to help you with?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
For the initial conditions you assumed, it looks like you did the problem correctly. So what is it you want us to help you with?

Chet

I just wanted to know how to find the extension of the spring due to the suspended mass. I think it is just ##x = \frac{50}{4000}## so I was checking whether my though is correct.

Dustinsfl said:
I just wanted to know how to find the extension of the spring due to the suspended mass. I think it is just ##x = \frac{50}{4000}## so I was checking whether my though is correct.
With no additional information, that's what I would have used for the initial extension.

Chet

Likes Dustinsfl
Dustinsfl said:
If this is the only question, then all the formulas you wrote there, with the exception of last one, are irrelevant. You must admit that your post was a little confusing.

Related to Finding the extension of a spring

1. How do you find the extension of a spring?

To find the extension of a spring, you need to measure the change in length of the spring when a force is applied to it. This change in length is known as the extension.

2. What is the formula for finding the extension of a spring?

The formula for finding the extension of a spring is: extension = applied force / spring constant. The unit for extension is meters (m).

3. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit length (N/m).

4. How do you measure the spring constant?

The spring constant can be measured by applying different forces to the spring and measuring the corresponding extensions. The spring constant is then calculated by dividing the applied force by the extension.

5. What factors can affect the extension of a spring?

The extension of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the applied force, the length and thickness of the spring, and the material it is made of. Temperature and environmental conditions can also play a role in the extension of a spring.

Back