Finding the Focal Length: A Homework Challenge

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the distance of an image at different positions and calculating its instantaneous speed using the equation 1/do+1/di=1/f. The group discusses the accuracy of using average velocity and suggests using differentiation to get a more accurate result. They also mention the importance of avoiding roundoff errors and using smaller time intervals for more accuracy.
Dan453234

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 11.40.31 PM.png

Homework Equations

1/do+1/di=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the distance of image at 27m and then at 30.5m and taking the difference but that didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does that mean you tried to find the average speed of the image? I think their talking about "initial speed" indicates that they want instantaneous speed.

Your method gives the average velocity in the first second. It is a good approximation, if you calculate the image distances with enough significant digits (five at least). Show your work.

jtbell said:
Does that mean you tried to find the average speed of the image? I think their talking about "initial speed" indicates that they want instantaneous speed.
How would I perform the calculation with instantaneous speed?

ehild said:
Your method gives the average velocity in the first second. It is a good approximation, if you calculate the image distances with enough significant digits (five at least). Show your work.
I tried doing this but unfortunately this didn't give me the correct answer. Is there a more accurate way of doing this?

Dan453234 said:
How would I perform the calculation with instantaneous speed?
How do you get instantaneous speed (or more precisely, velocity) from position?

jtbell said:
How do you get instantaneous speed (or more precisely, velocity) from position?
derivative?

Yup.

jtbell said:
Yup.
Ok cool, I'm still a little confused how i would apply it to this problem however.

Dan453234 said:
I tried doing this but unfortunately this didn't give me the correct answer. Is there a more accurate way of doing this?
What did you get? Yes, taking the derivative of di would be more accurate, but not much different.

Dan453234 said:
I'm still a little confused how i would apply it to this problem

You know the relationship between ##d_0## and ##d_i##: $$\frac 1 {d_o} + \frac 1 {d_i} = \frac 1 f.$$ Take the derivative with respect to t, of both sides of this equation, and you'll have a relationship between ##\frac {dd_o}{dt}## and ##\frac {dd_i}{dt}##.

ehild said:
taking the derivative of di would be more accurate, but not much different.
With Δt = 1 s I get about a 13% difference in the final answer, using the full precision of my calculator.

I agree, if Dan shows us his working, we can tell him if he at least calculated that approximation correctly.

jtbell said:
With Δt = 1 s I get about a 13% difference in the final answer.
Yes, it is true.

Good luck... if I want to get up for work in the morning I need to go to bed now. :oldwink:

jtbell said:
With Δt = 1 s I get about a 13% difference in the final answer, using the full precision of my calculator.

I agree, if Dan shows us his working, we can tell him if he at least calculated that approximation correctly.
I am getting .00011 if i do it using the approximation with average velocity. It marks this as incorrect.

OK, is the image moving towards the lens, or away from it?

The method with differentiation must be more accurate. Differentiate the equation ##\frac {1} {d_o} + \frac {1} {d_i} = \frac {1} {f} ## with respect to time and solve it for di'.

Dan453234 said:
I am getting .00011 if i do it using the approximation with average velocity.
Yes, that's what I got. Another way to get more accuracy would be to use a smaller time interval. In principle, if you make it small enough, the answer will get close enough to the exact answer to make your software happy. But you have to be very careful to avoid roundoff errors.

jtbell said:
Yes, that's what I got. Another way to get more accuracy would be to use a smaller time interval. In principle, if you make it small enough, the answer will get close enough to the exact answer to make your software happy. But you have to be very careful to avoid roundoff errors.
Great i ended up doing this and got the right answer. Thanks!

If you differentiate the equation ##\frac {1} {d_o} + \frac {1} {d_i} = \frac {1} {f}## you get ##-\frac {1} {d_o^2} d_o' -\frac {1} {d_i^2} d_i'=0##. Solve for di'.

Related to Finding the Focal Length: A Homework Challenge

What is the purpose of the "Finding the Focal Length" homework challenge?

The purpose of this homework challenge is to practice the concept of finding the focal length of a lens or mirror, which is an important skill in optics and physics. This challenge will also help students develop problem-solving skills and improve their understanding of geometric optics.

What materials are needed for this homework challenge?

To complete this homework challenge, you will need a lens or mirror, a light source, a screen or paper to project the image onto, a ruler or meter stick, and a calculator. You may also need a protractor and a pen or pencil for drawing diagrams.

What are the steps to finding the focal length?

The steps to finding the focal length of a lens or mirror are as follows:

1. Set up your materials, making sure the light source is shining through the lens or reflecting off the mirror onto the screen or paper.
  2. Measure the distance from the lens or mirror to the screen or paper.
  3. Adjust the distance between the lens or mirror and the screen or paper until a clear image is formed.
  4. Measure the distance from the lens or mirror to the object being projected.
  5. Use the thin lens or mirror equation, 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, to calculate the focal length, where f is the focal length, o is the distance from the object to the lens or mirror, and i is the distance from the lens or mirror to the image.

Can this homework challenge be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the concept of finding the focal length is applicable to real-world situations such as photography, microscopy, and telescope design. In these cases, the focal length is an important factor in determining the quality and magnification of the resulting image.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing this homework challenge?

Some common mistakes to avoid when completing this homework challenge include not measuring the distances accurately, not setting up the materials correctly, and not using the correct formula for finding the focal length. It is important to double-check all measurements and calculations to ensure accurate results.