Finding the Force of Friction and Minimum Mass for a Moving Block System

In summary, a block of mass m1 is on top of a block of mass m2, connected by an ideal rope passing through a pulley to a block of unknown mass m3. The pulley is massless and frictionless, while there is friction between block 1 and 2 and between the horizontal surface and block 2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the surface, mu, is equal to the coefficient of static friction between blocks 1 and 2. Question 1 asks for the magnitude and direction of the force of friction exerted by block 2 on block 1, which can be found using F=mu*(m1+m2)*g. For Question 2, the minimum
postfan

Homework Statement

This is a 2-part question

A block of mass m1 is on top of a block of mass m2. Block 2 is connected by an ideal rope passing through a pulley to a block of unknown mass m3 as shown. The pulley is massless and frictionless. There is friction between block 1 and 2 and between the horizontal surface and block 2. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the surface, mu, is equal to the coefficient of static friction between blocks 1 and 2.(Question 1)The mass of block 3 is such that block 1 and block 2 are moving together with a given acceleration of magnitude a. What is the magnitude and the direction of the force of friction exerted by block 2 on block 1? Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables a, m1, m2, mu , and g (acceleration due to gravity). To indicate the direction, use a minus sign if the force is pointing to the left.

(Question 2)What is the minimum value of m3 for which block 1 will start to move relative to block 2? Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m1, m2, \mu, and g.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1 I tried to find the force of friction by finding the force that opposes it (the force of motion) and putting a negative sign on it because friction opposes motion. I ended up getting F=mu*(m1+m2)*g

For part 2 I rearranged Newton's 2nd law to get m=F/a. I then found the force of the system to be mu*(m1+m2)*g and the acceleration to be g. Using the modified Newton's second, I got (m1+m2)*mu.

I know the answer to both of these is wrong because I am taking an online course (so I know whether I am right or wrong instantly).

If someone could take his/her time to help me get the right answer (and more importantly how to find the right answer), I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
postfan said:
What is the magnitude and the direction of the force of friction exerted by block 2 on block 1?I ended up getting F=mu*(m1+m2)*g
Pls post your working. In particular, what are the forces on m1, and what does F=ma (horizontal) give you for m1?

I calculated the normal force (m1+m2)*g then multiplied my mu then added a negative sign (friction opposes motion).

postfan said:
I calculated the normal force (m1+m2)*g then multiplied my mu then added a negative sign (friction opposes motion).
Where exactly does that normal force act? And where does the force of friction you calculated act? (You previously said it was between blocks 1 and 2 - did you mean that?)

Yes I did mean that. The Normal force acts in opposition of gravity on the blocks and the force of fiction acts oppostite to the motion caused by the pulley. So would the answer then be -mu*m2*g?

You seem very confused. Try to concentrate on block 1 first. What are all the forces on it? What is it's resultant acceleration? Bear in mind that the frictional force when not sliding is not in general equal to the Nμk; it's any value up to that.

FAQ: Finding the Force of Friction and Minimum Mass for a Moving Block System

1. How does a pulley work in a 3 block system?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. In a 3 block system, the pulley helps to distribute the weight of the blocks evenly and reduce the effort needed to lift them. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates, allowing the weight of the blocks to be shared between multiple ropes, making it easier to lift them.

2. What is the purpose of using a 3 block and pulley system?

The main purpose of using a 3 block and pulley system is to make it easier to lift heavy objects. By using multiple blocks and pulleys, the weight of the object is distributed across several ropes, reducing the amount of force needed to lift it. This makes it possible for a single person to lift objects that would otherwise be too heavy to lift on their own.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a 3 block and pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a 3 block and pulley system can be calculated by dividing the output force (the weight of the lifted object) by the input force (the force applied to the rope). For example, if an object weighs 300 pounds and it takes 100 pounds of force to lift it using the pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 300/100 = 3. This means that the pulley system is able to lift the object with 3 times less force than it would take to lift it without the system.

4. Are there different types of pulleys used in a 3 block system?

Yes, there are different types of pulleys that can be used in a 3 block system. The most common type is the fixed pulley, which is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. Other types include the movable pulley, which moves along with the load being lifted, and the compound pulley, which combines both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

5. Can a 3 block and pulley system be used to lift objects vertically and horizontally?

Yes, a 3 block and pulley system can be used to lift objects in both vertical and horizontal directions. By changing the direction of the ropes, the pulleys can be used to lift objects up and down, or side to side. This makes them versatile and useful in a variety of situations where heavy objects need to be moved or lifted.