Finding the greatest distance from the origin given a velocity vs. time graph.

In summary, the question asks how to find the greatest distance from the origin given a velocity vs. time graph with a maximum constant velocity of 2m/s for 2s, followed by a change in direction at 4s and a maximum negative constant velocity of -2m/s for 2s. The solution involves finding the area under the graph or using the formula d = vt for the first 2 seconds and a different formula for the next two.
1irishman

Homework Statement

If given a velocity vs. time graph where max. constant velocity is 2m/s for 2s and the object turns around at 4s with max negative constant velocity is -2m/s for 2s. How do i find the greatest distance from the origin?

Homework Equations

d= vi+vf/2 *t
d=vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm really not sure what to do here...please hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so you have constant speed for the first two seconds and the distance increases steadily at d = vt. Then the direction reverses and the distance diminishes to zero over the next 2 seconds. The greatest distance is pretty clear . . .

is it 5m?

is there a formula to help figure this out from just looking at a v-t graph coordinates?

Terribly sorry, I didn't see the bit about "turning around at 4s". Now I don't understand it because there is no indication of what happens between 2 and 4 seconds.

If you are looking at the graph, I suggest you find the distance traveled up to the turnaround time of 4 seconds. The area under the graph is the distance. Or use d = vt for the first 2 seconds and whatever is appropriate for the next two.

FAQ: Finding the greatest distance from the origin given a velocity vs. time graph.

1. How do I find the greatest distance from the origin on a velocity vs. time graph?

To find the greatest distance from the origin on a velocity vs. time graph, you will need to locate the point where the velocity reaches zero. This point is known as the maximum displacement or the farthest distance from the origin. You can then use this point to calculate the greatest distance by using the formula d = 0.5*v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

2. What does the slope of the velocity vs. time graph represent?

The slope of the velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration of the object. If the slope is positive, it means the object is accelerating in the positive direction. If the slope is negative, it means the object is decelerating or accelerating in the negative direction. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration or deceleration.

3. Can the greatest distance from the origin be negative?

Yes, the greatest distance from the origin can be negative. This would occur if the object is moving in the negative direction and reaches its farthest point from the origin at a negative displacement value. The distance is always a positive value, but the displacement can be either positive or negative.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement on a velocity vs. time graph?

Distance and displacement are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting point and the ending point. On a velocity vs. time graph, distance is represented by the total area under the curve, while displacement is represented by the horizontal distance between the starting and ending points.

5. How does the velocity at the point of maximum displacement affect the greatest distance from the origin?

The velocity at the point of maximum displacement does not affect the greatest distance from the origin. This is because the greatest distance is determined by the time it takes to reach that point, not the velocity. However, the velocity at the point of maximum displacement can affect the time it takes to reach that point, and therefore can indirectly affect the greatest distance.

Back