Finding the Ideal Angle for Maximum Distance with Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ideal angle for maximum horizontal distance when throwing an object in physics. The formula s = v²sin(2θ)/g is used and it is determined that without friction, the ideal angle is 45 degrees. However, a formula is needed to calculate the ideal angle with friction and it is believed to be slightly lower than 45 degrees. The question is raised about the constant of SIN(28) and it is mentioned that aiming a cannon lower than 45 degrees can produce a greater firing range regardless of friction. It is unclear if any information has been omitted from the conversation.
vagelier

Homework Statement

So for physics, I am trying to establish what the ideal angle is to get a maximum horizontal distance when you throw an object. So far, by using the formula s = v²sin(2θ)/g I've discovered that the angle is 45 degress without friction (duh). But now I need to have a formula to calculate the ideal angle with friction. I know it should be a little below 45 degrees, but I still need to prove it by equation.

Homework Equations

s = v²sin(2θ)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

see 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
vagelier said:

Homework Statement

So for physics, I am trying to establish what the ideal angle is to get a maximum horizontal distance when you throw an object. So far, by using the formula s = v²sin(2θ)/g I've discovered that the angle is 45 degress without friction (duh). But now I need to have a formula to calculate the ideal angle with friction. I know it should be a little below 45 degrees, but I still need to prove it by equation.

Homework Equations

s = v²sin(2θ)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

see 1.

Why would SIN(28) be a constant?

Also, aiming a cannon lower than 45 degrees produces a greater firing range regardless of frictiion.

Have you left things out?

FAQ: Finding the Ideal Angle for Maximum Distance with Friction

1. How does friction affect the distance a projectile can travel?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and acts in the opposite direction of an object's movement. This means that it can reduce the distance a projectile can travel by slowing it down.

2. What is the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction?

The ideal angle for maximum distance with friction depends on the specific conditions and variables involved. However, it is generally found that a launch angle of 45 degrees produces the maximum distance with friction taken into account.

3. How can you calculate the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction?

The ideal angle for maximum distance with friction can be calculated using the projectile motion equations and taking into account the effects of friction. This can be done using mathematical formulas or through experimentation and analysis of data.

4. What factors can affect the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction?

Some factors that can affect the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction include the coefficient of friction of the surfaces involved, the mass of the projectile, and the initial velocity of the projectile.

5. How can the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of finding the ideal angle for maximum distance with friction can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports like golf, baseball, or javelin throwing, where achieving maximum distance is important. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the trajectory and distance of projectiles.

Back