Finding the induced EMF on a bar - Faraday¡s law

In summary, the conversation discussed a conducting bar moving in a region with two magnetic fields, one uniform and stationary and the other varying with time. The expression for the induced EMF on the bar was found and it was determined that it is not equal to the EMF induced in a circuit. The possibility of a non-conducting bar was also discussed. The attempt at a solution involved integrating over different curves and surfaces to find the EMF's induced by each magnetic field. The total EMF would be the sum of these two values.
chrishans

Homework Statement

A conducting bar of length L moves with velocity v, in a rectangular region with a uniform and stationary magnetic field B_1. Near the bar, there is a cylindrical region of radius R with another magnetic field B_2 (it may vary on time). Both magentic field are normal to the plane of the picture, and point inwards.
x6c27d.png

a)Find the expression of the induce EMF on the bar, indicating its polarity, and the potential difference between the top and botton of the bar.
b)Is it equal to the EMF induced in the circuit P1,P2,P3,P4?
c)What if the bar was non-conducting?

Homework Equations

Faraday's law: [tex]\varepsilon=-\frac{d}{dt} \iint_{S(C)}\vec B \vec{ds}=-\iint_{S(C)}\frac{d \vec B}{dt} \vec{ds}+\oint_C \vec v \times \vec B \vec {dl}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Integrating over the red curve C and the surface enclosed by it, I get:
[tex]\varepsilon=-\iint_{S(C)}\frac{d \vec B}{dt} \vec{ds}+\oint_C \vec v \times \vec B \vec {dl}=\frac{dB_2}{dt}\pi R^2+vB_1L[/tex]
I took positive EMF anti-clockwise, I may have messed up with the signs anyway.

Is this correct? I'm confused, shouldn't the EMF be the same whichever curve I take? (Note that if I take a curve such that it doesn't include the cylinder, the first term of the expression dissapears) My question is, how do I know which curve to take? It should be one which has all the points of the bar, but there are lots of them.

b)I would say definitely not, since there is no magnetic flux variation on that surface so EMF=0.

c)If the bar was non-conducting charges wouldn't move inside the bar, and so there would be no EMF there, but the potential difference would be the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried further and now I seem to have found the EMF's induced by both the cylindrical region (because of its time-depending B) and the square one (because of the bar motion), not taking into account the other one. Assuming both results are right, how do I get the final solution, the 'total' EMF?

Taking only the cylindrical region and integrating over the blue curve:
jg1wd5.png

[tex]\phi=-\frac{B(t)\theta(t)R^2}{2}[/tex]
where [tex]\theta=2\arctan{\frac{L}{2x(t)}}[/tex]
then
[tex]\varepsilon=\oint \vec E \vec{dl}=- \frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{dB}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt}R^2[/tex], and this is the EMF's produced by the B2 of the cylinder. Due to the symmetry, E is only tangential to the cylinder/circle.
The other EMF is the classic [tex]vBl[/tex]

So if what I did is right, is the total EMF the sum of the other two?

Related to Finding the induced EMF on a bar - Faraday¡s law

What is Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

How do you calculate the induced EMF on a bar?

The induced EMF on a bar can be calculated using Faraday's law, which states that EMF equals the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the bar. This can be written as: EMF = -dΦ/dt, where Φ is the magnetic flux and dt is the change in time.

What factors affect the induced EMF on a bar?

The induced EMF on a bar is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the loop, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the circuit. Additionally, the orientation of the bar and the material it is made of can also impact the induced EMF.

How is Faraday's law applied in real life?

Faraday's law is applied in many real-life situations, such as in generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also the principle behind many energy-harvesting technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

Can Faraday's law be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's law is the basis for generating electricity in many devices, such as generators and power plants. By using the principle of electromagnetic induction, a changing magnetic field can be used to induce an EMF and generate electricity.