Finding the initial acceleration rotating masses not about their C.o.M

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a disk rotates with constant angular velocity and two masses connected by a string are initially held in place by a catch. When the catch is removed, the masses are free to slide. The question is to find the radial acceleration of one of the masses at this instant. It is determined that the string stays taut, meaning that the masses stay at the same position relative to each other, and this allows for the calculation of the radial acceleration in terms of the masses, length, and angular velocity.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

A disk rotates with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. Two masses, [itex]m_A[/itex] and [itex]m_B[/itex], slide without friction in a groove passing through the centre of the disk. They are connected by a light string of length [itex]l[/itex], and are initially held in position by a catch, with mass [itex]m_a[/itex] at a distance [itex]r_A[/itex] from the centre. Neglect gravity. At [itex]t=0[/itex] the catch is removed and the masses are free to slide. Find [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex] immediately after the catch is removed in terms of [itex]m_A, m_B, l, r_A,[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the string is light, the tension on each side is equal.

We have [itex]T = m_A\omega^2r_A - m_A\ddot{r_A} = m_B\omega^2(l-r_A) - m_B\ddot{r_B}[/itex]. If I had another equation in terms of [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{r_B}[/itex] then I could solve for [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex]. There is an angular acceleration of magnitude [itex]2\omega\dot{r_A}[/itex] but I don't know how to use this. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dazed&Confused said:

Homework Statement

A disk rotates with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. Two masses, [itex]m_A[/itex] and [itex]m_B[/itex], slide without friction in a groove passing through the centre of the disk. They are connected by a light string of length [itex]l[/itex], and are initially held in position by a catch, with mass [itex]m_a[/itex] at a distance [itex]r_A[/itex] from the centre. Neglect gravity. At [itex]t=0[/itex] the catch is removed and the masses are free to slide. Find [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex] immediately after the catch is removed in terms of [itex]m_A, m_B, l, r_A,[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the string is light, the tension on each side is equal.

We have [itex]T = m_A\omega^2r_A - m_A\ddot{r_A} = m_B\omega^2(l-r_A) - m_B\ddot{r_B}[/itex]. If I had another equation in terms of [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{r_B}[/itex] then I could solve for [itex]\ddot{r_A}[/itex]. There is an angular acceleration of magnitude [itex]2\omega\dot{r_A}[/itex] but I don't know how to use this. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Can you convince yourself that the string stays taut? If so then the two masses stay at the same position relative to one another. So one can treat them as if they were a single rigid object. Or, if you prefer, this mean that [itex]\ddot{r_A} = \ddot{r_B}[/itex]

Likes 1 person
jbriggs444 said:
Can you convince yourself that the string stays taut? If so then the two masses stay at the same position relative to one another. So one can treat them as if they were a single rigid object. Or, if you prefer, this mean that [itex]\ddot{r_A} = \ddot{r_B}[/itex]

I don't understand why that would be the case.

The question is confusing, I think this is what is meant:

Two masses A,B are connected by a string of length l. A third mass C, the catch, is placed on top of the string, being thereby temporarily connected to the string. In this arrangement, and being situated in the frictionless groove of this rotating disk with angular velocity ##\omega##, mass A is at a distance ##r_A## from the center and the masses are stationary. The catch is removed, find the radial acceleration of A at this instant.

Suppose that C has mass ##m_C##. The point is that we know nothing about C, the mass and position are both variable. All we know is that the position and mass of C is sufficient to root A and B in place. These are the facts you have: A and B were rooted in place and a hypothetical mass C was sufficient to achieve that. Find ##\ddot{r_A}##.

I now understand JBriggs's response, he is right of course. Think again about what he said.

verty said:
I now understand JBriggs's response, he is right of course. Think again about what he said.
Does the string stay taut as if it were to go below the [itex]m\omega^2r[/itex] term then there would have to be a radial acceleration outward to compensate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding the initial acceleration rotating masses not about their C.o.M

What is the initial acceleration of rotating masses?

The initial acceleration of rotating masses refers to the rate of change of their velocity at the beginning of their rotational motion. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How do you find the initial acceleration of rotating masses?

To find the initial acceleration of rotating masses, you need to first measure the change in velocity and the change in time. Then, divide the change in velocity by the change in time to get the initial acceleration.

What factors affect the initial acceleration of rotating masses?

The initial acceleration of rotating masses can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the rotating masses, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied force or torque.

Can the initial acceleration of rotating masses be negative?

Yes, the initial acceleration of rotating masses can be negative if the direction of the applied force or torque is opposite to the direction of the rotation. This indicates a decrease in the rotational speed of the masses.

Why is the initial acceleration of rotating masses important in scientific research?

The initial acceleration of rotating masses is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of rotating objects. It is also a crucial factor in the design and development of machinery and equipment that involve rotational motion.