Finding the Integral of 1/1+25x^2: Using Substitution

• Thread starter eaglesfn68
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of 1/1+25x^2 can be solved by using substitution. By letting u=5x and dx=du/5, the integral can be rewritten as 1/2 du/1+u^2. This can then be simplified to 1/5arctan(u). To solve for the values given in the homework statement, the limits of integration would also need to be adjusted accordingly.
eaglesfn68

Homework Statement

integral of 1/1+25x^2 evaluated at sqrt.3/5 and 0/

Homework Equations

arctan=1/1+x^2
arcsing=1/(sqrt.(1-x^2))
lnx=1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i have to use substitution or use lnx=1/x

this is what i tried, probably not right, integral 1/1+25x^2 = ln(1+25x^2)

Physics news on Phys.org

You were on the right track with that first relevant equation, arctan=1/1+x^2. I'd go with that.

Your answer of ln(1+25x^2) does not work, since taking the derivative will end up giving you a 50x on top, which doesn't match what you integrated.

thanks.

so: ddx arctan= 1/1+x^2

so i think i have to use substitution to get the answer.

so i can rewrite the equation as 1/1+(5x)^2

u= 5x
du= 5 dx
dx = du/5

then i would get 1/2 du / 1+u^2 which i could then make into 1/5arctan(u)

then the integrals would have to be changed x=0, u=0, x=(sqrt. 3) / 5, u= sqrt. 3

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding the Integral of 1/1+25x^2: Using Substitution

1. What is the integral of 1/(1+25x^2)?

The integral of 1/(1+25x^2) is arctan(5x) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of 1/(1+25x^2)?

To solve the integral of 1/(1+25x^2), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 5x, then du = 5dx. Substitute this into the integral to get the integral of 1/(1+u^2) du. This integral can be solved using the formula for the inverse tangent function.

3. Can the integral of 1/(1+25x^2) be simplified?

Yes, the integral of 1/(1+25x^2) can be simplified by using the trigonometric identity arctan(x) = arctan(1/x) + C. This simplifies the integral to arctan(1/5x) + C.

4. What is the domain of the integral of 1/(1+25x^2)?

The domain of the integral of 1/(1+25x^2) is all real numbers except for values of x that make the denominator equal to 0, which in this case is when x = ±1/5.

5. Why is the integral of 1/(1+25x^2) important in mathematics?

The integral of 1/(1+25x^2) is important because it is a fundamental integral that comes up in many applications of calculus, such as in the study of differential equations and in calculating areas under curves. It is also useful in finding the antiderivative of other rational functions.