Finding the internal energy using a steam table

In summary, the conversation is about determining the entropy of water at 5 Bar and an internal energy of 2724 kJkg-1 using steam tables. The person asking the question initially struggled with understanding how to use the tables, but with the help of Chet, they were able to find the value of entropy to be 7.272.
smoothie king

Homework Statement

What is entropy of water at 5 Bar and an internal energy of 2724 kJkg-1?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked at the steam tables, i found where the pressure is 500kpa, then i do not know where to go from there.

Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you will be supplied with tables that no one has told you how to use? Really?

phinds said:
So you will be supplied with tables that no one has told you how to use? Really?

i have changed the question around

Last edited:
smoothie king said:
i have changed the question around

sorry for double post, i pressed something wrong by accident.

Last edited:
Let me understand correctly. You have steam tables, and you know that you have water at 5 bars with an internal energy of 2724 kJ/kg, and you are asked to determine its entropy. Is that right?

Chet

Likes smoothie king
Chestermiller said:
Let me understand correctly. You have steam tables, and you know that you have water at 5 bars with an internal energy of 2724 kJ/kg, and you are asked to determine its entropy. Is that right?

Chet

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, i didnt know how to change the title and i didnt want to start a new thread.

Last edited:
You found a place in the tables where the pressure is 500 kPa. What is the heading on the top of the page (e.g., saturated steam or superheated steam)?

Chet

Likes smoothie king
Chestermiller said:
You found a place in the tables where the pressure is 500 kPa. What is the heading on the top of the page (e.g., saturated steam or superheated steam)?

Chet
Superheated Steam

smoothie king said:
Superheated Steam
OK. Now there are columns of numbers on the page. What are the headings on the columns of numbers?

Chet

Likes smoothie king
Chestermiller said:
OK. Now there are columns of numbers on the page. What are the headings on the columns of numbers?

Chet

They are all temperatures from 100°c to 700°c

smoothie king said:
They are all temperatures from 100°c to 700°c
What are the headings on the other columns (or rows?)?

Chet

Likes smoothie king
Chestermiller said:
What are the headings on the other columns (or rows?)?

Chet

there is t(sat), then h and s for all the temperatures above. also hg and sg for saturation

smoothie king said:
there is t(sat), then h and s for all the temperatures above. also hg and sg for saturation
I thought you said that the part of the table you were open to was for superheated steam. This table is for saturated steam. What gives?

Chet

Likes smoothie king
Chestermiller said:
I thought you said that the part of the table you were open to was for superheated steam. This table is for saturated steam. What gives?

Chet

i have two tables and i didn't notice, i have one with h and s, another with u and v, i just realized that i have to find the value for temperature in the u and v table using internal energy, then use that temperature to find the value of entropy in the h and s table. I got the value of entropy to be 7.272.

Thank you very much!

smoothie king said:
i have two tables and i didn't notice, i have one with h and s, another with u and v, i just realized that i have to find the value for temperature in the u and v table using internal energy, then use that temperature to find the value of entropy in the h and s table. I got the value of entropy to be 7.272.

Thank you very much!
Sounds about right.

Chet

Likes smoothie king

Related to Finding the internal energy using a steam table

What is a steam table and how is it used?

A steam table is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of water and steam. It is used to determine the internal energy, enthalpy, and other properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures.

How do you find the internal energy using a steam table?

To find the internal energy using a steam table, you must first determine the temperature and pressure of the water or steam. Then, locate the corresponding values on the steam table and use interpolation to find the internal energy.

Why is it important to find the internal energy of water or steam?

The internal energy of water or steam is an important property in thermodynamics as it represents the total energy of the system. It is used to calculate other thermodynamic properties and is essential in many engineering applications, such as power generation and refrigeration.

How accurate is the steam table in determining the internal energy?

The steam table is a reliable and accurate tool for determining the internal energy of water and steam. However, it is important to note that the values on the steam table are based on ideal conditions and may not account for all variables in a real-world system.

Are there any limitations to using a steam table to find the internal energy?

While the steam table is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It may not accurately represent the properties of water or steam under extreme conditions, such as very high temperatures or pressures. Additionally, the steam table may not account for non-ideal behavior, such as the presence of impurities in the water or steam.