Finding the intial velocity using vectors

In summary, the fire hose has an initial velocity of 40ft/s and needs an initial velocity of 36ft/s to hit the building.
shemer77

Homework Statement

a fire hose sprays water with an initial velocity of 40ft/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. Find the minimum initial velocity to hit a point on a building 15 feet to the right and 16 feet up.

The Attempt at a Solution

these are my equations but i feel like I am missing something b/c I am not sure how i would solve for velocity
r(t)=(z*cos60)T i + (z*sin(60))-16t^2) j
r'(t)=z*cos60) i + (z*sin(60)-32T) j
r''(t)=-32j

Physics news on Phys.org
shemer77 said:

Homework Statement

a fire hose sprays water with an initial velocity of 40ft/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. Find the minimum initial velocity to hit a point on a building 15 feet to the right and 16 feet up.

The Attempt at a Solution

these are my equations but i feel like I am missing something b/c I am not sure how i would solve for velocity
r(t)=(z*cos60)T i + (z*sin(60))-16t^2) j
r'(t)=z*cos60) i + (z*sin(60)-32T) j
r''(t)=-32j

Your equations look OK, with z as the unknown velocity. Use the x equation to figure out when it will have traveled the 15 feet to the wall. Plug that time into the y equation and see what z must be to make y = 16. And put the exact values of cos(60) and sin(60) in those equations.

thats a lot easier said than done, are you sure that's the way to do it? b/c that math is just ugly and terrible

shemer77 said:
thats a lot easier said than done, are you sure that's the way to do it? b/c that math is just ugly and terrible

Yes, I'm sure. You wind up with a quadratic equation in the unknown z. A few square root signs in the answer never hurt anybody.

FAQ: Finding the intial velocity using vectors

1. What is the definition of initial velocity in terms of vectors?

The initial velocity in terms of vectors is the starting velocity of an object, represented by a vector with a specific magnitude and direction.

2. How is initial velocity calculated using vectors?

To calculate initial velocity using vectors, you need to know the displacement and time of the object's motion. Then, you can use the formula: initial velocity = displacement / time.

3. Can initial velocity be negative when using vectors?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative when using vectors. Negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the vector.

4. How does finding initial velocity using vectors differ from finding it using other methods?

Finding initial velocity using vectors involves representing the velocity as a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction. Other methods may only focus on the magnitude of the velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding initial velocity using vectors?

Finding initial velocity using vectors is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles and vehicles. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the initial velocity of a baseball pitch.