Finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field

In summary, the problem involves finding the multiplicative inverse of a polynomial in the factor ring Q[x]/J, where J is the ideal generated by a given polynomial. This can be done by using the extended Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of the given polynomial and J, and then expressing that gcd as a linear combination of the two polynomials. This will yield the multiplicative inverse in the factor ring.
Adorno

Homework Statement

(A somewhat similar question to my last one). Let [itex]J[/itex] be the ideal of the polynomial ring [itex]\mathbb{Q}[x][/itex] generated by [itex]x^2 + x + 3[/itex]. Find the multiplicative inverse of [itex](3x^3 + 3x^2 + 2x -1) + J[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[x]/J[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to apply the extended Euclidean algorithm to 3x^3 + 3x^2 + 2x -1 and x^2 + x + 3 in order to find the greatest common divisor, but I am unsure of the details. Also, once I find the gcd, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are indeed correct that you must use the extended Euclidean algorithm with those two polynomials. If you are unfamiliar with the general (or extended) Euclidean algorithm, then I first recommend reviewing this subject. The algorithm is exactly the same for polynomials as it is for integers, so use the same strategy here and you should be good for that part.

Then of course, the question is, what to do once you have the gcd? Let's write F=3x^3+3x^2+2x-1 and J=x^2+x+3 for notational convenience. Since J is irreducible and monic, by definition of the gcd, gcd(F,J) must be either H or some nonzero rational number. As you might guess, it's a rational number (find it!). Say gcd(F,J)=q.

The extended Euclidean algorithm then yields an expression for q as a linear combination of F and J, that is, q=pF+gJ for some polynomials p and g. q is a nonzero rational, so
[tex]
q q^{-1}=1=q^{-1}(pF+gJ).
[/tex]
But then in the factor ring Q[x]/J, the additive unit is 0=0+J where (boldface) J is the ideal generated by the polynomial J. Work with the above expression, and I think you will have enough to answer the question :)

FAQ: Finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field

1. How do you find the inverse of a polynomial in a field?

The inverse of a polynomial in a field can be found by using the extended Euclidean algorithm. This algorithm involves dividing the polynomial by a given field element and finding the greatest common divisor. The inverse is then obtained by multiplying the resulting quotient by the inverse of the GCD.

2. What is the importance of finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field?

Finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field is important in various mathematical applications, such as cryptography and error-correcting codes. It allows for the efficient solving of equations and the manipulation of data in a field.

3. Can any polynomial have an inverse in a field?

No, not all polynomials have an inverse in a field. A polynomial must be irreducible in order for it to have an inverse. Additionally, the field must be a finite field for the inverse to exist.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the inverse of a polynomial in a field, which is the extended Euclidean algorithm. This method is based on the Euclidean algorithm for finding the greatest common divisor of two polynomials.

5. Can the inverse of a polynomial in a field change?

Yes, the inverse of a polynomial in a field can change depending on the field and the polynomial being used. Different fields may have different inverses for the same polynomial, and changing the polynomial or field can result in a different inverse.