Finding the inverse of an m*n matrix

In summary, to prove that if A is an mXn matrix, there is an invertible matrix C such that CA is in reduced row-echelon form, you need to think about how to row-reduce A. Each row operation corresponds to an elementary matrix, which can be applied to an nXn identity matrix. The product of these elementary matrices will be the invertible matrix C needed to row-reduce A. This can be extended to any mXn matrix.
John O' Meara
Prove that if A is an mXn matrix, there is an invertible matrix C such that CA is in reduced row-echelon form. I think I know how to get the inverse of a square or an nXn matrix B, i.e., each elementary row operation carried out on B is also carried out on an identity matrix I. [B|I] to give [I|B^-1]. But I have no idea how to do the same to an mXn matrix A in order to find C. In fact are all mXn matrices invertible? I doubt it. I am studing this on my own, so please give a hint or two to get started. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, an "m by n matrix" (without m= n) does not have a true "inverse" and you don't need one. Instead think about how you would row-reduce A. In order that CA exist and C be invertible, C must be an "n by n" square matrix. Every row operation corresponds to an "elementary" matrix- the same row operation applied to the n by n identity matrix. C will be the product of the elementary matrices corresponding to the row operations required to row-reduce A.

I tried what you said first on a 2 by 3 matrix A, and I found the matrix C without any problem. I need to extend it now to a the general m by n matrix A. Thanks for your help.

FAQ: Finding the inverse of an m*n matrix

1. What is an inverse of an m*n matrix?

An inverse of an m*n matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it "undoes" the original matrix's transformations.

2. How do you find the inverse of an m*n matrix?

The inverse of an m*n matrix can be found using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. This involves transforming the original matrix into reduced row-echelon form and then using this form to find the inverse.

3. Is it always possible to find the inverse of an m*n matrix?

No, it is not always possible to find the inverse of an m*n matrix. The matrix must be a square matrix (m=n) and must also be invertible, meaning its determinant is non-zero.

4. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of an m*n matrix?

Finding the inverse of an m*n matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations, as well as in various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can the inverse of an m*n matrix be used to solve any type of matrix equation?

Yes, the inverse of an m*n matrix can be used to solve any type of matrix equation, as long as the matrix is square and invertible. It is a powerful tool in linear algebra and can simplify complex calculations.

Back