Finding the kinetic energy of an electron

In summary, kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion and can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. The kinetic energy of an electron can be negative if its velocity is negative and is important in understanding electron behavior and properties in different situations. It affects an electron's speed, momentum, and interactions with other particles.
bear421

Homework Statement

This is a basic photoelectric type question.

What wavelength of light is necessary to produce photo-electrons of speed 2 * 10^6 m/s with a magnesium target?

Homework Equations

KE = pf - phi

phi = 3.7 eV
h = 6.63 * 10 ^-34

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to find the energy of an electron from the velocity. Once I have that I think I can figure it out

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out! E = .5 * m * v^2

Your equations are right =]

Related to Finding the kinetic energy of an electron

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of an electron?

The kinetic energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

3. Can the kinetic energy of an electron be negative?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an electron can be negative if its velocity is negative. This indicates that the electron is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

4. Why is it important to calculate the kinetic energy of an electron?

Finding the kinetic energy of an electron can help us understand the behavior and properties of electrons in different situations, such as in electrical circuits or in particle accelerators. It is also an important concept in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the kinetic energy of an electron affect its behavior?

The kinetic energy of an electron affects its behavior by determining its speed and momentum, which in turn can impact its interactions with other particles and its ability to overcome potential barriers in a system.

Back