Finding the Laurent Series for 1/(x+3) around x=2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of a Laurent series around x=2, which is known to be equal to 1/(x+3). The textbook provides formulas for the geometric series for different values of x, and the conversation suggests using the geometric series trick to find the sum of 1/(x+3). It also mentions rearranging the formula before applying the trick.
MrGandalf

Homework Statement

I know the sum of the Laurent series (around x=2) is equal to
[tex]\frac{1}{x+3}[/tex]
But I can't find what the series is from this information alone.

Homework Equations

In the textbook, you have (for -1 < x < 1):
[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n[/tex]
and for |x|>1 I know (but have no idea how to deduce) that
[tex]\frac{1}{1+x} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{x^n}[/tex]

I just don't know how I can use this information to find the sum for 1/(x+3).

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sorry, but I don't want to further destroy my confidence by reliving my pathetic attempts to finding the solution. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you can, you just use the geometric series

[tex] \frac{1}{x+3}=\frac{1}{3-(-x)} =\frac{1}{3(1- \frac{-x}{3})}[/tex]

Now use u = -x/3 and employ the geometric series for |x|<1.

Thank you! A clever little move there.

I'll be sure to include you in my 'Thank You' speech when I accept my Fields medal. ;)

If you want the Laurant series around x=2, you want a series of powers of (x-2). You might want to rearrange the form a bit before you do the geometric series trick.

Related to Finding the Laurent Series for 1/(x+3) around x=2

1. What is the difference between Maclaurin and Laurent series?

Maclaurin series is a special case of Laurent series where the center of expansion is at 0. Laurent series, on the other hand, can have a center of expansion anywhere in the complex plane. Additionally, Maclaurin series only includes non-negative powers of x while Laurent series can include both positive and negative powers.

2. How is a Maclaurin series derived?

A Maclaurin series is derived by expanding a function into a power series with a center of expansion at 0. This is done by finding the derivatives of the function at 0 and plugging them into the general form of a power series.

3. What is the purpose of using Laurent series?

Laurent series can be used to represent functions that are not analytic at a certain point. It allows us to extend the domain of a function beyond its singularity and make calculations easier.

4. Can any function be represented by a Maclaurin or Laurent series?

No, not every function can be represented by a Maclaurin or Laurent series. The function must be analytic at the center of expansion for a Maclaurin series, and it must be analytic in the annulus of convergence for a Laurent series.

5. How do you find the radius of convergence for a Laurent series?

The radius of convergence for a Laurent series is found by finding the distance from the center of expansion to the nearest singularity of the function. This is also known as the radius of the largest disk in which the series converges.