Finding the length of a string given f, F, λ and m

In summary, the person is struggling with a physics assignment and will be posting 10 questions. They found a formula online to solve for the length of a string based on given properties and attempted to use it, but are unsure if their answer is correct. They also found a simpler formula based on a suggestion and are asking for confirmation on its accuracy.
romakarol
Going through my physics assignment tonight, so that's 10 questions I'll be posting. Since I'm thoroughly hopeless at this subject most of my attempts will be based on my elite google-fu or trawling through lecture notes, bear with me and thanks!

1. Homework Statement

frequency (f)=160hz
Force (F)=150 Newtons
wavelength (λ)=0.40m
mass(m)=6 grams

find the length of a string with these properties

Homework Equations

f(λ)=sqrt [F/(m/L)]

found this formula and the statement "solve for L" for this exact question online.
I put the values in above, I believe I interpreted them right.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seemed a bit dodge to re-arrange, but i got L on it's own to be:
L= [F/(fλ ^2)]/m
(with values)
[150/(160x0.40)^2]/6=0.0061m...I have a feeling I may be off here XD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
romakarol said:
f(λ)=sqrt [F/(m/L)]
What is that equation? The right hand side (RHS) looks like the velocity of waves on a string...

I'm not sure, someone asked the same question as me on some website and that formula along with "solve for L" was the one-sentence reply. I used it because it seems to involve all the values listed in the question and can be used to find L. Is it incorrect?

Edit: see new post

Wait I found a simpler formula based on what you said:

upload_2016-4-8_2-10-7.png

I can get v since the wavelength and frequency is given (wavelength=v/frequency).

So if I re-arrange it to get L on its own, then L=[(m)(V^2)]/F, correct?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to Finding the length of a string given f, F, λ and m

1. What is the equation for finding the length of a string?

The equation for finding the length of a string is L = (f/F) * λ * m, where L is the length of the string, f is the tension force applied to the string, F is the fundamental frequency of the string, λ is the wavelength of the string, and m is the mass per unit length of the string.

2. What do f, F, λ, and m stand for in the equation?

f represents the tension force applied to the string, F is the fundamental frequency of the string, λ is the wavelength of the string, and m is the mass per unit length of the string.

3. How do I measure the tension force and the fundamental frequency of the string?

The tension force can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The fundamental frequency can be measured using a frequency meter or by plucking the string and listening for the pitch of the sound produced.

4. Can this equation be used for any type of string?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of string as long as the parameters of f, F, λ, and m are known. However, it is most commonly used for strings that are under tension, such as guitar strings or piano strings.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this equation. It assumes that the string is under ideal conditions, such as being perfectly straight and having a uniform mass per unit length. Additionally, it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the length of the string, such as temperature or humidity. Therefore, the calculated length may not be exact, but it can provide a good estimate.