Finding the limit as x-> infinity: [sqrt(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 + 7x)

In summary, when finding the limit as x approaches infinity of [√(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 + 7x), the final answer is √(5)/7. However, when finding the limit as x approaches negative infinity, the answer is -√(5)/7 due to the negative sign that arises from taking the square root of a negative number. The key steps in solving this limit are dividing by the largest exponent of x in the denominator and using the property that √(x^2) = -x when x < 0.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
Finding the limit as x--> infinity: [sqrt(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 + 7x)

1. lim[√(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 +7x)
x→∞

2. Alright, I thought I would have first find the largest exponent of x in the denominator.

In this case, the largest exponent is x^1.
The next step is to divide every term by x^1.

Since I cannot divide something in a square root by x, I thought I COULD multiply it by
√(1/x^2). That's the same thing as dividing by x.

So, this is what I have:

[√(1/x^2)*√(5 + 5x^2)]/(5/x + 7x/x)

= [ √(5/(x^2) + 5x^2/x^2) / ((5/x) + 7) ] * (1/x^2)/(1/x)

= √((5/x^2) + 5) / ((5/x) + 7)

Then I thought if you substitute infinity for x here, then the (5/x^2) and the 5/x both equal 0.

So, it's √((5/0) + 5) / (0 + 7)

= √(5)/7

...This is not the right answer... =_=
Could you find my mistakes?
Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

I was able to transform the expression to:
EDIT: The TEX was just too tedious correct after making it wrong, so I am corrected my mistake in plain text:
(sqrt((5/x^2)+5))/((5/x)+7)

Upon letting x increase without end, I found the same limit as you did,
[itex]\frac{\sqrt{5}}{7}[/itex]

You're answer is correct:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty}\frac{\sqrt{5x^{2}+5}}{7x+5}=\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty}\sqrt{\frac{5x^{2}+5}{(7x+5)^{2}}}=\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt{\frac{5x^2+5}{49x^2+70x+25}}=\lim_{x \to +\infty}\sqrt{\frac{5x^2}{49x^2}}=\frac{\sqrt{5}}{7}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Worked solution, because it may be somewhat different from LoLeeTa and mtayab1994.
(Attached)

Attachments

• lim_sqrt_ratio.JPG
    lim_sqrt_ratio.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 887

Thanks so much symbolipoint and mtayab1994!

You guys are awesome! :)

There were 2 aspects to the computer homework problem.
One part was as x→∞, and the other was as x→-∞

So it actually counted the √(5)/7 right for x→∞

BUT for x→-∞, the answer had to be -√(5)/7!

Thanks! :D

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
There were 2 aspects to the computer homework problem.
One part was as x→∞, and the other was as x→-∞

So it actually counted the √(5)/7 right for x→∞

BUT for x→-∞, the answer had to be -√(5)/7!

Thanks! :D
That's because ##\sqrt{x^2}## = -x if x < 0. Keep in mind that the square root of a nonnegative number is nonnegative, by definition.

In essence you are factoring x2 out of the terms insided the radical, and bringing it out of the radical as -x.

FAQ: Finding the limit as x-> infinity: [sqrt(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 + 7x)

What is the limit as x approaches infinity for the expression [sqrt(5 + 5x^2)]/(5 + 7x)?

The limit as x approaches infinity for this expression is 1.

How do you find the limit as x approaches infinity for a square root expression?

To find the limit as x approaches infinity for a square root expression, you can divide both the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x in the expression. In this case, the highest power of x is x^2, so dividing both by x^2 will result in a limit of 1.

Is it possible for the limit as x approaches infinity to be a negative value?

No, the limit as x approaches infinity must be a positive value or infinity itself. This is because as x approaches infinity, the value of the expression will get larger and larger, resulting in a positive value.

Can you use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit as x approaches infinity for this expression?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to find the limit as x approaches infinity for this expression. This rule states that if the limit of the original expression is in an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity), then the limit of the derivative of the expression can be taken instead. In this case, the limit of the derivative would also be 1.

What practical applications does finding the limit as x approaches infinity have in science?

Finding the limit as x approaches infinity is important in many fields of science, including physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the maximum or minimum value of a function, determine the behavior of a system over time, and analyze the stability of a system. In this specific expression, finding the limit as x approaches infinity can help predict the long-term behavior of a system that follows a similar mathematical pattern.

Back