Finding the Limit of x*sin(1/x) using L'Hopital's Rule

• Thread starter PhysicoRaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of L'Hopital's rule in evaluating the limit of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches 0. However, the attempt at rearranging the equation did not result in the desired form, and the sandwich theorem is suggested as an alternative approach. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of having a toolkit of rules and theorems to solve problems in calculus and the satisfaction of finding new solutions.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate: [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}x\sin (\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]L'H\hat{o}pital's~rule[/itex] (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the x to denominator as [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin(\frac{1}{x})}{\frac{1}{x}}[/itex] and Applying L'Hopital's rule I get [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\cos {\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
Have I done right? How should I proceed? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To apply L'Hopitals rule, you need to put the expression in form so you get 0/0 or infinity/infinity when you apply the limit directly.

You did not manage to do that - applying the limit directly to the rearranged equation shows form "oscillating/infinity".

Do you know the sandwich theorem?
http://www.math.washington.edu/~conroy/general/sin1overx/

Likes 1 person
[itex]-1\le sin(1/x)\le 1[/itex] so [itex]-x\le x sin(1/x)\le x[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thanks Simon and HallsofIvy, I understand like this: The function xsin(1/x) oscillates b/n x and -x, and as x approaches zero (left or from right), x and -x approach zero. Hence the function, which is sandwiched between these two MUST also approach zero. (I didn't know the sandwich theorem, I learned it now. Thanks :smile:)
This is one more evidence that L'Hopital's rule is not the king. Maybe I needed a more graphical, more practical view.

L'Hopital's rule is not the sole monarch of differential calculus, no. Before I started on PF I didn't even know the approach had a special name... none of my teachers formally taught it but we all knew the principle as part of the general behavior of limits.

As you advance you will learn many other rules and theorems. Together they form a "toolkit" that will help you work out what to do with specific problems. When you get good, you will end up facing problems where there is no known solution and you are the one who has to come up with the method. Enjoy.

Simon Bridge said:
L'Hopital's rule is not the sole monarch of differential calculus, no. Before I started on PF I didn't even know the approach had a special name... none of my teachers formally taught it but we all knew the principle as part of the general behavior of limits.

As you advance you will learn many other rules and theorems. Together they form a "toolkit" that will help you work out what to do with specific problems. When you get good, you will end up facing problems where there is no known solution and you are the one who has to come up with the method. Enjoy.

Then I would really like it. :!) Maybe this is why 'math' is the 'science' of numbers. :cool:

That's the spirit - enjoy :)

FAQ: Finding the Limit of x*sin(1/x) using L'Hopital's Rule

What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the independent variable gets closer and closer to a specific value.

Why do we need to find limits?

Limits are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of a function near a particular point and can help us solve problems involving rates of change and continuity.

What are the different methods for finding limits?

The most common methods for finding limits include direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and using trigonometric identities. Other methods include using the squeeze theorem, L'Hôpital's rule, and the limit definition.

What are some common mistakes when finding limits?

Some common mistakes when finding limits include forgetting to check for removable discontinuities, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and forgetting to simplify fractions or radicals.

How can I check my answer when finding a limit?

To check your answer, you can use a graphing calculator or an online limit calculator to graph the function and see if your limit matches the graph. You can also use algebraic techniques such as factoring or rationalizing the numerator and denominator to simplify your answer and check for any errors.