Finding the Limit: One-sided and Imaginary Numbers

• Thread starter Kilgour22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit ## \lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{\sqrt(a^2 - x^2)}{a}} ## does not exist, as the numerator approaches 0 while the denominator remains constant. Additionally, the expression is not defined for values of ## x > a ##, further indicating that the limit does not exist.
Kilgour22
Hi all! In the midst of making up limit problems to solve generally, I came across a limit in which I'm not sure of the answer. This is not homework, but merely a product of free time.

Homework Statement

Find the limit.​

## lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{\sqrt(a^2 - x^2)}{a}} , a > 0 ##

The attempt at a solution
## lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{\sqrt(a^2 - x^2)}{a}} ##

## = lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{a\sqrt(1 - (x/a)^2)}{a}} ##

## = lim_{x \to a^+} {\sqrt(1 - (x/a)^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{1 - ((a + b)/a)^2}, b > 0 ##

## = \sqrt{1 - ((a^2 + 2ab + b^2)/a^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{1 - (1 + 2b/a + (b/a)^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{-2b/a - (b/a)^2} = i\sqrt{2b/a + (b/a)^2}, a >0, b > 0 ##

Because I'm left with an imaginary answer, does that mean that the one-sided limit does not exist, or would the above expression actually be the answer? I've never had to deal with limits that yield imaginary numbers before, so any clarification as to how they are handled would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kilgour22 said:
Hi all! In the midst of making up limit problems to solve generally, I came across a limit in which I'm not sure of the answer. This is not homework, but merely a product of free time.

Homework Statement

Find the limit.​

## lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{\sqrt(a^2 - x^2)}{a}} , a > 0 ##

The attempt at a solution
## lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{\sqrt(a^2 - x^2)}{a}} ##

## = lim_{x \to a^+} {\frac{a\sqrt(1 - (x/a)^2)}{a}} ##

## = lim_{x \to a^+} {\sqrt(1 - (x/a)^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{1 - ((a + b)/a)^2}, b > 0 ##

## = \sqrt{1 - ((a^2 + 2ab + b^2)/a^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{1 - (1 + 2b/a + (b/a)^2)} ##

## = \sqrt{-2b/a - (b/a)^2} = i\sqrt{2b/a + (b/a)^2}, a >0, b > 0 ##

Because I'm left with an imaginary answer, does that mean that the one-sided limit does not exist, or would the above expression actually be the answer? I've never had to deal with limits that yield imaginary numbers before, so any clarification as to how they are handled would be much appreciated!

Your original (pre-limit) expression contains only ##x## and ##a##, so how on Earth could you possibly be getting an answer involving some ##b## that was not part of the problem at all? Anyway, if ##x > a## is near ##a##, we can write ##x = a + h##, where ##h > 0## is a small quantity. Now re-write your ratio ##f(x) = \frac{1}{a} \sqrt{a^2 - x^2}## in terms of ##a## and ##h##. That should reveal much more clearly what is going on when you take ##h \to 0+##.

Ray Vickson said:
Your original (pre-limit) expression contains only ##x## and ##a##, so how on Earth could you possibly be getting an answer involving some ##b## that was not part of the problem at all? Anyway, if ##x > a## is near ##a##, we can write ##x = a + h##, where ##h > 0## is a small quantity. Now re-write your ratio ##f(x) = \frac{1}{a} \sqrt{a^2 - x^2}## in terms of ##a## and ##h##. That should reveal much more clearly what is going on when you take ##h \to 0+##.

I let ## x = a + b ##. I probably should have mentioned that, though I thought I made the steps pretty clear. If I let ## b \to 0^+ ## , I get the limit to be 0. So I guess that's the answer, even though it's imaginary up until that point?

The very first thing I notice is that [itex]\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] is NOT a real number for x> a so that [itex]\lim_{x\to a^+}[/itex] will not exist! Are you sure you have written the problem correctly?

If you meant [itex]\lim_{x\to a^-}\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}[/itex] then you should see immediately that the numerator is going to 0 while the denominator is not. I see no reason to do any of the calculations you have done.

Likes STEMucator
Thank you, that's precisely what I needed to know!

Related to Finding the Limit: One-sided and Imaginary Numbers

1. What is a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point on one side. It is used to determine the value of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point.

2. How do I find the one-sided limit of a function?

To find the one-sided limit of a function, you must evaluate the function as it approaches the specified point from the given direction. This can be done by plugging in values that are increasingly closer to the specified point, and observing the trend in the output values. The limit is then the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to the specified point.

3. What does a one-sided limit tell us about a function?

A one-sided limit can tell us about the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can indicate whether the function is approaching a finite value, approaching infinity, or does not exist at that point. One-sided limits also help us determine the continuity of a function at a specific point.

4. Can a function have different one-sided limits from the left and right?

Yes, a function can have different one-sided limits from the left and right. This means that the function behaves differently as it approaches the specified point from different directions. In this case, the overall limit at that point does not exist, as the function does not approach a single finite value.

5. In which real-life situations can one-sided limits be applied?

One-sided limits can be applied in various real-life situations, such as determining the speed of an object at a specific time, predicting the temperature of an object as it approaches a certain state, and analyzing the efficiency of a process as it approaches a critical point. They are also useful in modeling and predicting natural phenomena, such as population growth or chemical reactions.