Finding the linear density of charge on a cylinder

In summary, the charge linear density on the interior and exterior surfaces of the cylinder is 2λ, and the electric field outside of the cylinder at a distance r from the rod is q(r-a).
davidbenari

Homework Statement

A rod with charge linear density λ is located at the long axis of a cylinder with charge linear density 2λ. With this information use Gauss's law to find (a) the charge linear density on the interior and exterior surfaces of the cylinder (b) the electric field outside of the cylinder at a distance r from the rod.

Just to make sure: my questionnaire does refer to charge linear density, not surface density. My questionnaire does not make reference to a "long" rod nor a "long" cylinder. I've read these calculations are next to impossible if there's no reference to "longness".

Homework Equations

Θ=q/ε

q=λL -- for the rod

The Attempt at a Solution

This question does not make any sense to me. So I'm not going to try to answer it, because I'm in disagreement with the question. I hope you also consider the question is wrong or weird or prove me wrong so I can understand.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to convert linear density to surface density?

Hmmm... I have also had similar issues with poorly worded problems. In order to make sense I would have to assume that by linear charge density on the cylinder, they meant for you to take it as 2pi R dL with L being the length of (presumably) the rod and cylinder both. The charge density would then be linear with respect to L. I'm not entirely sure though. Not answering a problem, however, normally doesn't work out too well.

If you look at the charge density this way, you should be able to treat it as linear due to symmetry about the rod for all points on the cylinder.

Likes 1 person
I was thinking that if I take the wording as it is, then the linear density on the surface (interior and exterior) is just 2λ based on what their statement was.

As far as part (b) goes, I was thinking if there is some way to convert linear density to surface density so that I can then use gauss's law to calculate the charge contained within some gaussian surface at 'r' distance from that system.

Any ideas if this is at all possible? (converting linear density to surface density).

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how I feel about that honestly, I've seen it done in reverse (unjustifiably in my opinion). It can be done in certain circumstances, and this might be one of them. After sleeping on it and reading it again, it does seem like what they mean by linear charge density is that the density doesn't vary with r or theta, only L or z or whatever you want to call your cylindrical axis. That being the case, you shouldn't necessarily need to convert it, because your surface integral from gauss' law will merely be a function of L and constants.

Related to Finding the linear density of charge on a cylinder

1. What is the definition of linear density of charge on a cylinder?

The linear density of charge on a cylinder refers to the amount of electric charge per unit length of the cylinder. It is expressed in coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How do you calculate the linear density of charge on a cylinder?

The linear density of charge on a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the cylinder by its length. This can be represented as Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the cylinder.

3. What is the SI unit of linear density of charge on a cylinder?

The SI unit of linear density of charge on a cylinder is coulombs per meter (C/m).

4. How does the linear density of charge on a cylinder affect the electric field?

The linear density of charge on a cylinder determines the strength of the electric field around the cylinder. Higher linear density of charge results in a stronger electric field, while lower linear density of charge results in a weaker electric field.

5. Can the linear density of charge on a cylinder have a negative value?

Yes, the linear density of charge on a cylinder can have a negative value. This indicates that the charge on the cylinder is negative, which means it has an excess of electrons compared to protons. This can happen, for example, if the cylinder is made of a material with an excess of electrons.