How to Determine the Force on a Conductor in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the force acting on a linear conductor placed at the axis of a half circular cylinder with a constant current passing through it, when both conductors are placed in a vacuum. The use of Biot-Savart law is recommended for finding the B-field, and integration over the half cylinder is necessary to calculate the force. The conversation also mentions taking advantage of symmetry in order to simplify the calculations.
cdummie

Homework Statement

Say we have a very long conductor shaped like half circular cylinder . With radius a and negligible thickness with constant current through it . At the axis of the cylinder, there is linear conductor with constant current through it . If these conductors are placed in vacuum, determine the force action on the linear conductor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i have to know magnetic field vector (B) so i could find force, i first calculated it, doing it this way, i considered that half cylinder consists of huge number of linear conductors, and i got this for the one linear conductor: B=(μ0*I)/2πa , since this is just a piece of magnetic field i labeled it dB, and the current dI,
considering dI/dl=I/aπ (it's dI over dL) i got dI=(IdL)/aπ. Now, after i considered x and y components of the vector and calculated it's values i got Bx=-(μ0I)/aπ2 and the By was zero. Now, what confuses me is while calculating the value of the one linear conductor I'm not sure if i did it correct, i mean it's basically calculating the magnetic field of one very long linear conductor to another very long linear conductor, I'm not sure can i do it this way

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you are using Ampere's law. But since the shape of the conductor is not symmetrical (half a cylinder), you must use the Biot-Savart law (google).

Find the B-field by (numerical) integration over the half cylinder.

Hesch said:
It seems that you are using Ampere's law. But since the shape of the conductor is not symmetrical (half a cylinder), you must use the Biot-Savart law (google).

Find the B-field by (numerical) integration over the half cylinder.

I actually used Biot-Savart law, i just can't write whole derivation, but that's not the problem, i don't understand what would be the difference if i had just a single point instead of whole linear conductor. Because, the way i did this is the same way i would do it if i had just single point

Using Biot-Savart you must integrate over the volume of the conductor: Say you place the conductor in at system of co-ordinates with the center of the cylinder along the x-axis. You will find the B-field at (x,y,z) = (0,0,0). Of cause at tiny element of conductor at (x,y,z) = (0,1,1) will influence the B-field at (0,0,0), but so will a tiny element at (1,1,1). ( A tiny element at (1,0,0) will not ).

That's what Biot-Savart states: You must integrate over all tiny elements.

Therfore you will also have to integrate along the conductor (x-direction).

Last edited:
Consider a differentially thin strip of length L along the half-cylinder. You learned the formula for force between two current-carrying wires. Compute the differential force on the inner wire due to this thin strip. Take advantage of any symmetry between one-half of the cylinder and the other half; you might be able to work in one coordinate only. Then integrate over the total half-cylindrical surface. This is not a volume integral problem. The answer is a very simple term in current i (and 2 constants).

FAQ: How to Determine the Force on a Conductor in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is the magnetic field?

The magnetic field is a force field created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnetic materials, and its strength and direction can be measured using a compass or other instruments.

2. How is the magnetic field measured?

The magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field and can produce a visual representation, such as a graph, to show the variations in the field.

3. What is the significance of finding the magnetic field?

Finding the magnetic field is important for understanding many natural phenomena, such as Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and migrating animals. It is also crucial for technology, as the magnetic field is used in many devices such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the electric current creating the field, and the permeability of the material in the field's path. In addition, the shape and orientation of the magnets can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is the magnetic field used in everyday life?

The magnetic field is used in many everyday applications, such as in credit and debit cards, speakers and headphones, and security systems. It also plays a crucial role in generating electricity, as it is used in power plants to turn turbines and produce energy.