Finding the Major Axis Angle of an Ellipse Given Rotated Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equations x=acos(\theta) and y=bcos(\theta +\delta ) as the equation of an ellipse and determining the angle between the ellipse's major axis and the x axis. The conversation also mentions using a rotation matrix to find the relation between \psi and \delta and using the equation of an ellipse in standard form to solve the problem.
McLaren Rulez

Homework Statement

Prove that the equations [itex]x=acos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=bcos(\theta +\delta )[/itex] is the equation of an ellipse and what angle does this ellipse's major axis make with the x axis?

Homework Equations

Equation of an ellipse is [itex]x=acos\theta, y=asin\theta[/itex]
Rotation matrix is for a rotation by [itex]\psi[/itex] is [tex]A=\begin{pmatrix} cos\psi & -sin\psi \\ sin\psi & cos\psi \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the special case of [itex]\delta = \pi/2[/itex] is easy but I cannot do it for arbitrary [itex]\delta[/itex]. I worked out what an ellipse whose major axis forms an angle [itex]\psi[/itex] with the x-axis looks like. I did this by applying a rotation matrix to the standard equation [itex]x=acos\theta, y=bsin\theta[/itex]

This gives [itex]x= acos\theta cos\psi - bsin\theta sin\psi[/itex] and [itex]y= acos\theta sin\psi + bsin\theta cos\psi [/itex]

Now, what is the relation between [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] in general. And I need to show that the equations [itex]x=acos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=bcos(\theta +\delta )[/itex] can be brought to the same form as [itex]x= acos\theta cos\psi - bsin\theta sin\psi[/itex] and [itex]y= acos\theta sin\psi + bsin\theta cos\psi [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
This might not be the most efficient method. Use
$$\cos \theta = \frac{x}{a}$$ to eliminate ##\theta## from
$$\frac{y}{b} = \cos(\theta+\delta) = \cos \theta \cos \delta - \sin\theta \sin \delta$$ to get the equation of an ellipse in standard form.

Thanks Vela. It took some doing but it worked!

FAQ: Finding the Major Axis Angle of an Ellipse Given Rotated Equations

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a closed curve that resembles a flattened circle. It is formed by tracing all the points on a plane that are equidistant from two fixed points, called the foci.

2. How do you find the center of an ellipse?

The center of an ellipse is the midpoint between its two foci. You can find the center by drawing a line segment between the foci and finding its midpoint using the midpoint formula.

3. What is the equation for an ellipse?

The standard equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

4. How do you calculate the eccentricity of an ellipse?

The eccentricity of an ellipse is a measure of how round or elongated it is. It can be calculated using the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance from the center to a focus and a is the length of the semi-major axis.

5. What is the difference between a major axis and a minor axis?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter, passing through the center and both foci. The minor axis is the shortest diameter, perpendicular to the major axis and also passing through the center.