Finding the Mass from an Acceleration vs Force graph

In summary, the conversation is about confirming Newton's 2nd law through a track and trolley experiment. The trolley's mass is kept constant at 752 grams, and additional weights ranging from 10g to 30g are added for different trials. By plotting an acceleration vs force graph and calculating the slope, the value for the mass of the trolley is determined to be 0.3846 kg, which is close to double the actual trolley mass of 787g. The conversation ends with a question about how the acceleration was calculated, which was through the use of a motion sensor and taking the average acceleration of 5 trials for each acceleration mass.
Crovati
I have to confirm Newtons 2nd law via a track and trolley experiment

Homework Statement

The trolley’s mass is kept constant.
The weight of the cart (252g) plus two bar weights (500g) is = 752 grams, plus additional weights of either, 10g, 15g, 20g, 25g or 30g for the different trials.

The acceleration weights are:
25g
20g
15g
10g
5g
for the different trials.

This is what i got in the end...

Acceleration mass (g)--------Force (N)-----------Average acceleration ms-2

---------5-----------------------0.049---------------------0.10
---------10----------------------0.098---------------------0.22
---------15----------------------0.147---------------------0.36
---------20----------------------0.196---------------------0.44
---------25----------------------0.245---------------------0.63

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted an acceleration vs Force graph, which gave me slope=2.6. And I thought that since F=ma, then the slope would be 1/m = 1/2.6 =0.3846... kg.
If i’m thinking correctly then this should be the value for the mass of the trolley (the cart+the bar weights+the additional weights+acceleration mass)

But when i add all of the components of the trolley’s mass i get 787g...which is nowhere near 0.3846... kg.

I’m not sure what i’m doing wrong, or if I’m going about solving this in completely the wrong way. Or maybe i made a big error during the experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crovati said:
But when i add all of the components of the trolley’s mass i get 787g...which is nowhere near 0.3846... kg.

No, but it's pretty near 2 x 0.3836 kg. How did you get the acceleration?

MrAnchovy said:
No, but it's pretty near 2 x 0.3836 kg. How did you get the acceleration?
We used a motion sensor which took the velocity/time for each trial. the Average acceleration I posted there is the average of 5 trials for each of the different acceleration masses.

Related to Finding the Mass from an Acceleration vs Force graph

1. How do you determine the mass from an acceleration vs force graph?

To find the mass from an acceleration vs force graph, you would need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Rearrange the equation to solve for mass (m=F/a) and then plug in the values for force and acceleration from the graph.

2. Can you explain the relationship between mass, acceleration, and force on the graph?

The relationship between mass, acceleration, and force on the graph is represented by the slope of the line. The steeper the slope, the greater the force for a given acceleration, which means the object has a larger mass. A flatter slope indicates a smaller mass, as the same force is causing a smaller acceleration.

3. What units are used for mass, acceleration, and force on the graph?

Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and force in Newtons (N). However, it is important to check the units on the specific graph you are using, as they may vary.

4. Are there any assumptions made when finding the mass from an acceleration vs force graph?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that are typically made when finding the mass from an acceleration vs force graph. These include assuming a constant acceleration and a linear relationship between force and acceleration. Additionally, the effects of friction and air resistance are often ignored in these calculations.

5. Can you use an acceleration vs force graph to find the mass of an object in motion?

Yes, an acceleration vs force graph can be used to find the mass of an object in motion. As long as the object is experiencing a constant force and a constant acceleration, the mass can be calculated using the same equation, m=F/a. However, if the acceleration is changing, a different method, such as using a velocity vs time graph, may be necessary to find the mass.