Finding the mass of a solid, using Spherical Coordinates.

In summary, the task is to find the mass of a solid with a density function of δ = k(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-1/2), bounded by the planes z = √(25 - x2-y2) and z = 4. The solution involves transforming the plane z = 4 into ρcosφ = 4 and finding the limits for the variables ρ, θ, and φ. After some calculations and using the concept of a right triangle, the correct answer of kπ is obtained.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the solid bounded from above z = √(25 - x2-y2) and below from z = 4, if its density is δ = k(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-1/2).

Homework Equations

m = ∫∫∫δdV

The Attempt at a Solution

ajjZKoy.png

The plane z = 4 is transformed into ρcosφ = 4, that is, ρ = 4secφ. And x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 25 is ρ = 5. θ goes from 0 to 2π. But I'm struggling finding the limits for φ (the azimuth). I think φ must go from 0 to π/2, but I can't get the correct answer (which is kπ). The book suggests that I must express the upper limit for φ as an inverse cosine, but why is that? From the figure I can see φ goes from 0 to 90°.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, [itex]\rho[/itex], the radial variable, goes from 0 to 5 and [itex]\theta[/itex], the "longitude" goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex], the "co-latitude" goes from 0 to arcsin(1/5) since line making angle [itex]\phi[/itex] with the z-axis, to a point on the hemi-sphere with z= 1, is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with "opposite side" 1.

Likes supermiedos
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, [itex]\rho[/itex], the radial variable, goes from 0 to 5 and [itex]\theta[/itex], the "longitude" goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex], the "co-latitude" goes from 0 to arcsin(1/5) since line making angle [itex]\phi[/itex] with the z-axis, to a point on the hemi-sphere with z= 1, is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with "opposite side" 1.

Wait, ρ goes from 0 to 5? I tought ρ went from 4secφ to 5. And why do you use z = 1?

supermiedos said:
Wait, ρ goes from 0 to 5? I tought ρ went from 4secφ to 5. And why do you use z = 1?

You are correct for ##\rho## and ##\phi## from 0 to ##\arcsin(\frac 3 5)## or ##\arccos(\frac 4 5)##.

Likes supermiedos
LCKurtz said:
You are correct for ##\rho## and ##\phi## from 0 to ##\arcsin(\frac 3 5)## or ##\arccos(\frac 4 5)##.
Thanks both of you for your help. The result it's correct :)

I used z= 1 because I misread your post, thinking the base was 4 places below the top, at z= 1, rather than at z= 4. Of course, you should use z= 4, not z= 1.

Likes supermiedos
HallsofIvy said:
I used z= 1 because I misread your post, thinking the base was 4 places below the top, at z= 1, rather than at z= 4. Of course, you should use z= 4, not z= 1.
Thank you, and thanks for the idea of the triangle.

Related to Finding the mass of a solid, using Spherical Coordinates.

1. How do you define spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of specifying points in three-dimensional space using three coordinates: radial distance, inclination angle, and azimuth angle. The radial distance is the distance from the origin to the point, the inclination angle is the angle between the radial distance and the z-axis, and the azimuth angle is the angle between the projection of the radial distance onto the xy-plane and the x-axis.

2. Why is spherical coordinates used in finding the mass of a solid?

Spherical coordinates are useful in finding the mass of a solid because they provide a convenient way to represent and integrate over spherical shapes. This is especially helpful when dealing with objects that have spherical symmetry, as it simplifies the calculations and allows for more accurate results.

3. How is mass calculated using spherical coordinates?

To calculate the mass of a solid using spherical coordinates, we first divide the solid into small, infinitesimal elements. Then, we use the formula M = ρ∫∫∫ dV, where ρ is the density of the solid and the triple integral is taken over the volume of the solid. This integral can be evaluated using the spherical coordinate system, with the density function represented in terms of the spherical coordinates.

4. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates over other coordinate systems?

Spherical coordinates have several advantages over other coordinate systems, such as cartesian or cylindrical coordinates. They are particularly useful when dealing with objects that have spherical symmetry, as mentioned before. Additionally, they simplify the calculations involved in finding volume, surface area, and mass of a solid. Spherical coordinates are also used in many physical and mathematical applications, making them a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.

5. Can spherical coordinates be used to find the mass of irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, spherical coordinates can still be used to find the mass of irregularly shaped objects. In this case, the solid would be divided into smaller, irregularly shaped elements, and the triple integral would be evaluated over the entire volume of the solid. However, the calculations may be more complex and require advanced techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.