Finding the Maximum Value of a Tricky Function?

In summary, the task is to show that the maximum value of the function f(x) = 1/(1+|x|) + 1/(1+|x-a|), where a>0, is (2+a)/(1+a). The attempt at a solution involved differentiating the function and evaluating it for different values of x. However, upon evaluation, it was found that the first derivative had no root for 0 <= x and a <= x, and at x = a/2, the function yielded f(a/2) = 0, which is a minimum value and not the desired maximum value. It is suggested to double check the evaluation at x=a/2 and to plot the function with an arbitrary
gummz

Homework Statement

f(x) = 1/(1+|x|) + 1/(1+|x-a|), a>0

I am to show that the maximum value of this function is (2+a)/(1+a).

Homework Equations

None in particular. Derivatives for 1/x and the chain rule for f(g(x)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have parted this function according to 0 <= x, 0 <= x <= a, a <= x, and differentiated and confirmed via Wolfram Alpha.

The first derivative has no root for 0 <= x and a <= x, and for 0 <= x <= a I get the value x = a/2, which yields f(a/2) = 0, which is obviously a minimum and not a maximum.

Physics news on Phys.org
gummz said:

Homework Statement

I am to show that the maximum value of this function is (2+a)/(1+a).

Homework Equations

None in particular. Derivatives for 1/x and the chain rule for f(g(x)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have parted this function according to 0 <= x, 0 <= x <= a, a <= x, and differentiated and confirmed via Wolfram Alpha.

The first derivative has no root for 0 <= x and a <= x, and for 0 <= x <= a I get the value x = a/2, which yields f(a/2) = 0, which is obviously a minimum and not a maximum.

OK, so what are these facts telling you?

gummz said:
I get the value x = a/2, which yields f(a/2) = 0, which is obviously a minimum and not a maximum.
Double check your evaluation at x=a/2. It seems like you took the right approach. Also, don't hesitate to plot the function with an arbitrary value a.

FAQ: Finding the Maximum Value of a Tricky Function?

1. What is the maximum value of a function?

The maximum value of a function is the highest output or y-value that the function can produce for a given set of inputs or x-values.

2. How do you find the maximum value of a function?

The maximum value of a function can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0. Then, solve for the x-value and plug it back into the original function to find the corresponding y-value.

3. Can a function have more than one maximum value?

Yes, a function can have more than one maximum value if it has multiple peaks or if it is a periodic function with multiple local maximum points.

4. Is the maximum value of a function always a whole number?

No, the maximum value of a function does not have to be a whole number. It can be a decimal or fraction depending on the function and the inputs.

5. How can the maximum value of a function be used in real-life applications?

The maximum value of a function can be used to optimize certain processes such as finding the most profitable price point for a product or maximizing the efficiency of a system. It can also be used to determine the best course of action in decision-making situations.

Back