Finding the Median with Class Scores

In summary, When given a frequency table with classes instead of set scores, the median should be given as the midpoint of the class containing the median score, such as 34.5 in the example provided. However, if there are sets of scores that do not have a median of 34.5, then the class boundaries should be given instead. Using the class boundaries also suggests that all scores are integers, but this can be modified by using the format "x <= score < y" for each class.
danago
Gold Member
If I am given a frequency table, but instead of set scores, i am given classes, or a range of scores. So for example:

20-29 | 11
30-39 | 12
40-49 | 2

etc.

If asked to find the median of the set of data, should i give the midpoint of the class containing the median score, or should i give the whole class. So in the example above, should i give 34.5, or 30-39?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of some example sets of scores that fit your grouping. Do they all have median 34.5?

No they dont, so id give the class boundaries then?

Thanks,
Dan.

danago said:
No they dont, so id give the class boundaries then?

Thanks,
Dan.

I can't think what else you would do. BTW the class boundaries would suggest that all of the scores are integers.

Dick said:
I can't think what else you would do. BTW the class boundaries would suggest that all of the scores are integers.

How is that so? Why does it suggest all scores are integers?

danago said:
How is that so? Why does it suggest all scores are integers?

Because e.g. 39.5 is not in any range.

Oh i see. If i changed it to:

20 <= x < 29 | 11
29 <= x < 39 | 12
40 <= x < 49 | 2

Then that would allow for all scores within the boundaries, integers or not?

Yep. Right.

ok, thanks :smile:

Related to Finding the Median with Class Scores

1. What is a median?

A median is a measure of central tendency in a set of data. It is the middle value when the data is arranged in numerical order.

2. How is the median calculated?

To find the median, first arrange the data in numerical order. If there is an odd number of data points, the median is the middle value. If there is an even number of data points, the median is the average of the two middle values.

3. Why is the median used instead of the mean?

The median is used instead of the mean when the data is skewed or has extreme outliers. This is because the median is less affected by extreme values, making it a more accurate representation of the central value of the data set.

4. Can the median be used for any type of data?

The median can be used for any type of data, including numerical, categorical, and ordinal data. However, it is most commonly used for numerical data.

5. How is the median useful in analyzing class scores?

The median can provide a better understanding of the overall performance of a class by indicating the middle score, which can be helpful in identifying trends or potential outliers. It can also be used to compare the performance of different classes or groups within a class.