Finding the Minimum Angle for a Home Run Hit in a Ballpark

In summary, the conversation covered the parametric equations for the path of a baseball, launched at an angle (theta) with an initial velocity of v0 feet per second. The minimum angle required for a home run was calculated by setting up an equation and using a trigonometric identity to solve for the angle. The answer was found to be approximately 19.38 degrees.
demonelite123
The center field fence in a ballpark is 10 feet high and 400 feet from home plate. A baseball is hit at a point 3 feet above the ground. It leaves the bat at an angle of (theta) degrees with a horizantal at a speed of 100 miles per hour.

x = (v0 cos(theta))t and y = h + (v0 sin(theta))t - 16t^2
The initial velocity is v0 feet per second and the path of the projectile is modeled by the parametric equations. The projectile is launched at a height of "h" feet above the ground at an angle of (theta) with the horizontal.

a) write a set of parametric equations for the path of the baseball.
b) Use a graphing utility to graph the path of the baseball for theta = 15 degrees. Is the hit a home run?
c) Use a graphing utility to graph the path of the baseball for theta = 23 degrees. Is the hit a home run?
d) Find the minimum angle required for the hit to be a home run.

the only part I'm having trouble with is part d). i don't know how to find the minimum angle required to hit a home run. i already calculated the v0 for this problem to be 146.67 ft/second. so i tried letting x = 400 since that's the distance needed to hit a home run. i got the equation 400 = (146.67 cos(theta))t and i solved for t and substituted back in the equation for y. then i got y = 3 + 400sin(theta) (1/cos(theta)) - 119(1/cos(theta))^2

i then used the formula x = -b / 2a to find max/min for quadratic equations. i got (1/cos(theta)) = -400sin(theta) / -238. i rearranged and i got -238 = -400sin(theta)cos(theta). Then i have -238 = -200sin(2 theta). i divided by -200 and i took the arcsin of both sides. unfortunately i did not get the answer as -238/-200 isn't in the domain of the arcsin function. did i approach the problem the correct way? or is there a different way of doing it? please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that when the problem is requesting that you find the minimum angle required for a home run, it simply wants the angle that the ball is hit at to "just clear" the fence, i.e. hit the ball 400 ft horizontally and 10 feet vertically. If we simply plug in 40 for x, 10 for y, and and eliminate t, we can solve for the theta that meets these requirements.

It is not asking for a maximum height or velocity, which is normally when we would be finding the max of a parabola and using -b/(2a) in this type of problem. I don't believe this is necessary here.

Hint: In solving the resulting equation, you will need to know the trigonometric identity
[tan(x)]^2 + 1 = [sec(x)]^2

Since you are very focused on the method of solving the problem, I will tell you that I believe the answer is around 19.38 degrees. Try to see if you can get the same answer.

Last edited:
ok i got the same answer as you now! the only part that bogged me down was forgetting that trig identity with tan and sec. thanks!

Related to Finding the Minimum Angle for a Home Run Hit in a Ballpark

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to express a set of equations in terms of one or more parameters, often referred to as variables. These equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe curves, lines, and other shapes.

2. How do you solve a parametric equations problem?

To solve a parametric equations problem, you first need to identify the given equations and their parameters. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution to eliminate the parameters and solve for the variables. Finally, graphing the equations can help visualize the solution.

3. What is the difference between parametric and cartesian equations?

The main difference between parametric and cartesian equations is the way they express a relationship between variables. In cartesian equations, the variables are directly related to each other, while in parametric equations, the variables are related through one or more parameters.

4. Can you convert a parametric equation into a cartesian equation?

Yes, it is possible to convert a parametric equation into a cartesian equation by eliminating the parameters and expressing the variables directly in terms of each other. This process may involve using trigonometric identities, calculus, or other mathematical techniques.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations have various real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to describe the motion of objects, the trajectory of projectiles, and the shape of curves and surfaces. They also play a crucial role in creating computer-generated imagery and animations.