Finding the minimum perimeter.

In summary, the conversation is about a farmer trying to create a rectangular paddock with a minimum perimeter while still having an area of 4000m^2. The perimeter is given by the equation P = 2x + 8000/x, and to find the minimum perimeter, the first derivative of P is taken and set equal to 0. The mistake in the solution was a simple error with the derivative.
Precepts

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on part b) of the question, but this includes the whole thing:

A farmer wants to make a rectangular paddock with an area of 4000m^2. However, fencing costs are high and she wants the paddock to have a minimum perimeter.

a) Show that the perimeter is given by the equation P = 2x + 8000/x

b) Find the dimensions of the rectangle that will give the minimum perimeter, correct to 1 decimal place.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) A = 4000 = xy

y = 4000/x

P = 2x + 2y
= 2x + 2(4000/x)
= 2x + 8000/x

Okay, so that was easy.

b) I assume here I just find the first derivative of P (to find minima)

dP/dx = 2 + 8000/x^2

So; 8000/x^2 + 2 = 0

Obviously this won't solve because I can't find x ( negative sq. root)... Where have I gone wrong exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative wrt x of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] ie of x[itex]^{-1}[/itex] = -x[itex]^{-2}[/itex]= -[itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/itex]

grzz said:
The derivative wrt x of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] ie of x[itex]^{-1}[/itex] = -x[itex]^{-2}[/itex]= -[itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/itex]

So I should do P = 2x + 8000x^-1 instead... So x isn't on the bottom?

Can you show me the solution?edit - Nvm, simple mistake with the derivative.

Last edited:
Yes you just had a simple mistake with the derivative.

Just replace the + with a - on the RHS of your derivative.

FAQ: Finding the minimum perimeter.

1. What is the minimum perimeter?

The minimum perimeter refers to the smallest possible distance around a shape or object. It is often used in mathematics and geometry to find the most efficient way to enclose a given space.

2. How is the minimum perimeter calculated?

The minimum perimeter is calculated by finding the shortest distance around a shape or object. This can be done by using various mathematical formulas, such as the perimeter formula for a square or the circumference formula for a circle.

3. Why is finding the minimum perimeter important?

Finding the minimum perimeter is important because it allows us to optimize the use of materials and resources. In engineering and construction, it can help minimize costs and improve efficiency. In nature, it can help organisms maximize their energy and resources.

4. What factors affect the minimum perimeter?

The minimum perimeter can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the object, the materials used, and any constraints or limitations in the given space. It can also be influenced by external factors such as wind or gravity.

5. Can the minimum perimeter be found for any shape or object?

Yes, the minimum perimeter can be found for any shape or object as long as it has a defined boundary. However, the method for finding the minimum perimeter may vary depending on the shape or object being considered.

Back