Finding the Missing Number in Geometric Series

In summary, finding the missing number in a geometric series involves using the formula for the sum of a geometric series and solving for the missing term. The formula is given by Sn = a(1-r^n) / (1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. By plugging in the known values and the sum of the series, the missing term can be calculated. Alternatively, the common ratio can be determined by dividing any two consecutive terms in the series, and then using that value to find the missing term.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/681/a1a2.jpg

Calculate which number you have to add to a1, a2 and a3 in order to get 3 subsequent numbers in a geometric series

The Attempt at a Solution

Getting a2 and a3 was easy.

Plugging in the values I need for n, I get
a2 = 5
a3 = 13

Okay, now by trial and error I figured out that if I add 3 to all the values, I get 3 numbers that the multiplicative value of 2 is their difference. But, how do I get to that fact without a guessing game of trial and error, I don't know. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You can take the first terms of the geometric series to be a, a*r and a*r^2. Take the constant you add to be c. So you want to solve 1+c=a, 5+c=a*r and 13+c=a*r^2 for c. That's three equation in three unknowns. Taking quotients of those equations is probably the easiest way.

So you want to solve 1+c=a, 5+c=a*r and 13+c=a*r^2 for c. That's three equation in three unknowns. Taking quotients of those equations is probably the easiest way.

That makes perfect sense. The first term is just the first term, added c to it. The second term is a multiplicative value, so we need to make sure it's multiplied by a certain value. And with the third term, that value is raised to the power of the value the second term is multiplied by.

Hmmm...

Yes.

I can see the logic.

(btw I'm not sure what you mean by "taking quotients", that's too much of a professional mathematical language for me. Though I do know that quotient is the result of a fraction).

Solving these 3 equations though yields c = -0.5
Did I make a mistake along the way?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4218/eqsolving.jpg

Oh here you were! :smile:

Your step from

[tex]r = \frac {5+c} {1+c}[/tex]​
to

[tex]r = 5[/tex]​

is not ok.

This would only be true if c would be zero.

Good point. I'll work on that.

Femme_physics said:
Nailed it :)

Yep! :smile:

Femme_physics said:
Though I got c=-1 in addition to c=3. But I'll just treat -1 as an extraneous root.

Thanks!

You should check it. Perhaps there are 2 solutions.
Then you could baffle everybody with your second solution! :wink:
Which solution would you get with c=-1?

Femme_physics said:
PS Do you like my new way of posting equations? :)

Yes! It looks more professional and is easier to read.
Although I kind of liked the personal touch of your handwritten scans with for instance a bug that *bolted*! :smile:
When will I get to see something like that now? :(

You should check it. Perhaps there are 2 solutions.
Then you could baffle everybody with your second solution!
Which solution would you get with c=-1?

Well, a1 would equal 0, so no matter what you multiply it by it's going to equal zero, so that can't be an answer!

Yes! It looks more professional and is easier to read.
Although I kind of liked the personal touch of your handwritten scans with for instance a bug that *bolted*!
When will I get to see something like that now? :(

Oh, this is only my "work form"! :) That's how you'll know I'm posting from work. Whenever I'll have a scanner I'll go back to handwriting and scanning!

(and oh yea, the bolting spider, that was fun heh :D )

Femme_physics said:
Well, a1 would equal 0, so no matter what you multiply it by it's going to equal zero, so that can't be an answer!

Yep! That's it! :smile:

Note that it's important to check solutions against the original equation.

Femme_physics said:
Oh, this is only my "work form"! :) That's how you'll know I'm posting from work. Whenever I'll have a scanner I'll go back to handwriting and scanning!

What kind of "work form" is that?
Does it have a name?
And how do you make a picture from it?

Femme_physics said:
(and oh yea, the bolting spider, that was fun heh :D )

Yep! :smile:

What kind of "work form" is that?
Does it have a name?
And how do you make a picture from it?
Microsoft Equation 3.0 in Powerpoint 2007

I just screenshot the whole thing after I finish typing. It's a heckuva lot easier than using LaTeX, because in LaTeX I keep losing myself over all the brackets and code stuff (if I'd look back to try and see what I wrote, I'd have no idea). Microsoft Equation 3.0 is more like "WYSIWYG"

:)

-Or

Femme_physics said:
Microsoft Equation 3.0 in Powerpoint 2007

I just screenshot the whole thing after I finish typing. It's a heckuva lot easier than using LaTeX, because in LaTeX I keep losing myself over all the brackets and code stuff (if I'd look back to try and see what I wrote, I'd have no idea). Microsoft Equation 3.0 is more like "WYSIWYG"

You may want to take a look at this one:
http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

It's an online latex editor, showing your results immediately.
It looks a bit like Microsoft Equation.
And you can copy and paste it easily in PF between [ tex ] tags.

You may want to take a look at this one:
http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

It's an online latex editor, showing your results immediately.
It looks a bit like Microsoft Equation.
And you can copy and paste it easily in PF between [ tex ] tags.

Terrific! I'll use it, then, since I know it makes the Homework Helper's life and yours easier :)

Femme_physics said:
Terrific! I'll use it, then, since I know it makes the Homework Helper's life and yours easier :)
We will appreciate it. One advantage is that we can insert comments inline, rather than write what you wrote, and then add a correction.

FAQ: Finding the Missing Number in Geometric Series

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio.

2. How do you find the missing number in a geometric series?

To find the missing number in a geometric series, you need to first identify the common ratio. Then, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series (Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r)) to solve for the missing number by plugging in the known terms and the desired sum.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a fixed number of terms, while an infinite geometric series continues indefinitely. The sum of a finite geometric series can be calculated using the formula mentioned above, while the sum of an infinite geometric series can only be calculated if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1.

4. Can you find the missing number if the series is not in order?

Yes, you can still find the missing number in a geometric series even if the terms are not in order. As long as you know the common ratio and have enough information about the other terms, you can use the formula mentioned in question 2 to solve for the missing number.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the missing number in geometric series?

Yes, geometric series can be found in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating compound interest in finance, population growth in biology, or resource depletion in economics. Finding the missing number in these series can help with predicting future trends or making informed decisions.

Back