Finding the moment(s) of inertia

• Thread starter dinospamoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the wedge has a mass of 4500 kg, a volume of 10.5 cm3, and a moment of inertia of 9.8 kgm^2.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

A wedge of a sphere of radius 14 cm (similar to one
segment of an orange) is oriented so that the axis is aligned
with the z-axis, one face is in the xz plane, and the other
is inclined at an angle of α = 29o
, as shown. The wedge is
made of metal having a density of 4500 kg/m3
. In the coordinate system shown, compute a) Ixx, b) Iyy, and c) Izz.

The picture is attached

Homework Equations

I know that

I_xx= ∫(y^2+z^2)ρ dV
I_yy= ∫(x^2+z^2)ρ dV
I_zz= ∫(y^2+y^2)ρ dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble thinking of how to replace the dV with something in terms of x y and z

The first thing I did was find the mass, but I'm not sure if it would help at all

I did V=4/3 π r^3

and then multiplied by 29/360 to find the volume of the wedge and the multiplied by the density.

Also, just thought of this now:

r = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1/2

could I differentiate the volume equation to find dV in terms of r and dr (4 pi r^2 dr)
and substitute in the above expression for r and just tack on dx dy and dz? SOrry if that breaks all rules of physics

Attachments

• prob08-01.gif
    prob08-01.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 580
Physics news on Phys.org
dinospamoni said:
The first thing I did was find the mass, but I'm not sure if it would help at all

I did V=4/3 π r^3

and then multiplied by 29/360 to find the volume of the wedge and the multiplied by the density.
That does not help.
You can write dV = dx dy dz in cartesian coordinates. There are similar formulas for spherical coordinates and other coordinate systems.

could I differentiate the volume equation to find dV in terms of r and dr (4 pi r^2 dr)
y^2 + z^2 and similar expressions are not constant for constant r, this does not work. You will need more than 1 integral.

For I_zz, you can use the symmetry of the problem, if you know the moment of inertia of a ball.

After posting this I converted it to spherical coordinates and used triple integration and found the correct answers. Thanks though!

Related to Finding the moment(s) of inertia

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other in the physical world.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating the mass of each particle in an object with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using specific formulas for common shapes such as cylinders, spheres, and rods.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger mass, larger dimensions, and mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in various real-world applications such as designing rotating machinery, calculating the stability of structures, and understanding the behavior of objects in sports like gymnastics and figure skating.

5. What is the difference between moment of inertia and center of mass?

Moment of inertia describes an object's resistance to rotational motion, while center of mass describes the point where an object's mass is concentrated. In other words, moment of inertia is a measure of an object's distribution of mass, while center of mass is a specific point within the object.