Finding the New Angle of Inclination: A Projectile Motion Problem

In summary, the problem involves launching a small ball from the corner of an inclined plane at different angles. The maximum range of the projectile is 50cm when the inclination of the plane is 70 degrees. When the inclination is changed to an unknown angle and the launcher is oriented at 30 degrees, the ball lands 1m away from the launcher on the inclined plane. Using the equation R = v2sin(2x) / g, a ratio of 2.3094 is found by comparing the maximum range at 45 degrees to the given range at 30 degrees. By dividing 70 degrees by this ratio, the new angle of inclination is approximately 30.3 degrees.
Zipzap
"Angle Of Inclination" problem

Homework Statement

A small ball is launched from the corner of an inclined plane. When the inclination of the plane α is 70deg the maximum range of the projectile is 50cm. Later, the inclination of the plane changes to new unknown angle, and the same projectile launcher is oriented at 30 deg to the horizontal line. The ball lands 1m away from the launcher on the inclined plane. Find the new angle of inclination.

Homework Equations

R = v2sin(2x) / g

The Attempt at a Solution

NB: For those of you who haven't heard of this, you attached a ball launcher to the corner of a piece of wide wood (or other solid material), and you incline said solid material at different angles. As you go down, the ball travels further horizontally on the plane. It had something to do with altering g at different angles of inclination

For the first situation, I know that the degree of the launcher was 45o, since we're referring to maximum range.

For the second situation, I had the idea of doing sin(2*45) / sin(2*30) = 1.1547. This might be totally wrong, but my "idea" at the time was that I could find the ratio with which the max. range was greater than the given range (if that makes any sense)

Since 1.1547 * 1 = 1.1547, I can do 1.1547 / 0.5 = 2.3094, giving me the ratio of the new angle of inclination to the old one.
Henceforth, 70 / 2.3094 = 30.3 degrees (approximately)

Honestly, did I approach this problem in the right way at all? I feel like that I did something horribly wrong when trying to solve it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Bump...

Bump again.

Seriously, has nobody else found an alternate way to approach this problem?

Related to Finding the New Angle of Inclination: A Projectile Motion Problem

1. What is the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination refers to the angle formed between a horizontal line and a line representing the slope or tilt of an object or surface. It is typically measured in degrees.

2. How is the angle of inclination calculated?

The angle of inclination can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine. It may also be measured using specialized tools such as a clinometer or inclinometer.

3. What does the angle of inclination tell us?

The angle of inclination provides information about the steepness or slope of an object or surface. It is often used in fields such as engineering, geology, and astronomy to determine the orientation and stability of structures or landforms.

4. What factors can affect the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination can be influenced by various factors such as the shape and composition of the object or surface, external forces like gravity and wind, and the angle at which it is being observed.

5. How is the angle of inclination used in real-world applications?

The angle of inclination is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including construction and architecture, surveying and mapping, navigation, and even sports like skiing and skateboarding. It is also a crucial factor in understanding phenomena such as tides and planetary orbits.