Finding the Original Charge Given Force

• Thread starter Stephanie Hernandez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Force
In summary, two identical conducting spheres initially repel each other with a force of 0.050 N at a distance of 0.25 m. After a conducting wire is connected between them and then removed, they repel each other with a force of 0.060 N. Using Coulumb's Law, the original charge on each sphere can be calculated, assuming the distance between them remains constant throughout.
Stephanie Hernandez

Homework Statement

Two small, identical conducting spheres repel each other with a force of 0.050 N when they are 0.25 m apart. After a conducting wire is connected between the spheres and then removed, they repel each other with a force of 0.060 N. What is the original charge on each sphere?

Homework Equations

F(r)= k|q1||q2| / r1 22

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the questions stated that the two spheres were identical, I went ahead and assumed that the two spheres had the same charge and using that along with the other information given, I solved using Coulumb's Law but I didn't even end up using the second part of the data given so I'm sure I messed up on my equation set up

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the intention is that the charges are not identical in the beginning. If they were nothing would change when you connect them.

Orodruin said:
I believe the intention is that the charges are not identical in the beginning. If they were nothing would change when you connect them.
Would it be safe to assume that the distance between them stays the same even after the force with which they repel each other changes?

Stephanie Hernandez said:
Would it be safe to assume that the distance between them stays the same even after the force with which they repel each other changes?
I would assume so, yes. There is nothing in the statement that would indicate a change in distance.

FAQ: Finding the Original Charge Given Force

What is "Finding the Original Charge Given Force"?

"Finding the Original Charge Given Force" is a scientific process used to determine the amount of electric charge that was initially present in a system, given the force that is currently acting on it.

Why is it important to find the original charge given force?

Knowing the original charge of a system can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of electric charges, as well as help in understanding the underlying principles of electric fields and forces.

What is the formula used for finding the original charge given force?

The formula used is Q = F * d, where Q is the original charge, F is the force acting on the charge, and d is the distance the charge has moved.

What units are used for force and distance in this formula?

The force is measured in Newtons (N) and the distance is measured in meters (m).

Can this process be applied to any system or are there limitations?

This process can be applied to any system where the force acting on the charge can be measured and the distance the charge has moved can be determined. However, there may be limitations in certain situations, such as when the system involves more complex forces or when the charge has been affected by external factors.

Back