Finding the oxidized and reduced element

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, the conversation is about calculating oxidation numbers for different equations. The equation CO2 + C = 2CO is used as an example, with one carbon atom being reduced and the other being oxidized. The concept of disproportionation is also discussed, where two identical atoms can both be reduced and oxidized at the same time. This is demonstrated in the equation Cl2 + 2OH- → Cl- + OCl- + H2O.
physics=world
1. I need to find the element being oxidized and reduced for:

CO2 + C = 2CO

I don't know how to do it for this one.

3. I know how to do it for ones like this:

2Al + 3Cl2 = 2Al(3+) 6Cl(-)

it would be

zero for elemental Al and Cl

and the oxidation number for the product would be its charge.

but how do I do it for ones like this.

CO2 + C = 2CO

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to calculate oxidation numbers for all atoms present in the equation?

Would it be

for the left side:

C=+4, O =+2 for CO2

and elemental C = 0

and for the right side:

C=+2, O =+2 for 2CO

So far, so good. Which atoms oxidation numbers changed?

If I add the C atom and subtract from the other side would this be correct:

(4+0) - 2 = 2

So, C would be reduced.

I am not sure what you are doing, but your conclusion is partially right. Carbon is being reduced, but you can't have reduction without oxidation.

What is being oxidized?

Hint: I was referring to atoms (not elements) for a purpose.

Oxygen is being oxidized, but how much is the oxidation number increased by?

No, oxygen oxidation number doesn't change - it was -2 before and it is -2 after.

Sigh, I just realized you calculated oxidation numbers for oxygen wrong - you wrote them as +2. No, it was -2 in all compounds.

yes I noticed that as well

So, what is being oxidized?

carbon

Yep. You have two different carbon atoms on the left - one is getting oxidized, the other is getting reduced.

Sometimes it can get even more surprising, when you have two identical atoms on the left and they get reduced and oxidized at the same time - it is called disproportionation. The simplest example is probably

Cl2 + 2OH- → Cl- + OCl- + H2O

(try to assign oxidation numbers and see what is happening here).

that is surprising. I did not know about that.

So, is the other C going from 0 to 2?

Yes, one C is going from +4 to +2, the other one from 0 to +2. First is reduced, the other is oxidized.

FAQ: Finding the oxidized and reduced element

1. What is oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between atoms or molecules. Oxidation is the loss of electrons, while reduction is the gain of electrons.

2. How can I determine the oxidized and reduced element in a reaction?

The oxidized element is the one that loses electrons, and the reduced element is the one that gains electrons. You can determine this by looking at the oxidation numbers of each element before and after the reaction.

3. How do I calculate oxidation numbers?

Oxidation numbers are assigned to each element based on their electronegativity and the number of valence electrons they have. In general, metals have positive oxidation numbers, while non-metals have negative oxidation numbers.

4. Why is it important to find the oxidized and reduced element in a reaction?

Identifying the oxidized and reduced elements can help us understand the changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It also allows us to predict the products of the reaction and determine the overall direction of the reaction.

5. Can the oxidized and reduced elements change during a reaction?

Yes, the oxidized and reduced elements can change during a reaction. This is because electrons are constantly being transferred between atoms and molecules, causing their oxidation numbers to change.