Finding the parametrization of the curve

In summary: I want to go the opposite direction I would just multiply by -1so y = -3sintx = 4costwhich would mean that0\le t \le 2\piis this correct?Yes, that is correct! In summary, to find a parametrization for a particle moving along the curve 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144 in a clockwise direction starting at (4,0), we can use the parametrization x = 4cos(t) and y = -3sin(t) where 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π. Similarly, to find a parametrization for a particle moving in
shamieh
A particle moves along the curve \(\displaystyle 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144\)

a)Find a parametrization of the curve which corresponds to the particle making one trip around the curve in a clockwise direction starting at (4,0)

so I know that \(\displaystyle cos^2t + sin^2t = 1\) which is a circle. I also know that \(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 = 1\) is a circle.

But I'm not sure where to start... I know I need to let x = t correct? What exactly do I need to solve for here?b) Find a parametrization of the curve which corresponds to the particle making one trip around the curve in a counter-clockwise direction starting at (0,3)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by dividing through by 144 to obtain the equation of an ellipse in standard form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{4^2}+\frac{y^2}{3^2}=1\)

And to make things a bit easier to see for your parametrization, you may choose to write the equation as:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x}{4} \right)^2+\left(\frac{y}{3} \right)^2=1\)

Now, can you use that Pythagorean identity to form your parametrizations?

so are you saying

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{3} = \sqrt{1 - (\frac{x}{4})^2}\)

\(\displaystyle y = 3 * \sqrt{1 - (\frac{x}{4})^2}\)

\(\displaystyle y = 0, 3\) ?

No, suppose we wish to begin at the point (-4,0) and move in a clockwise direction. I would then let:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{4}=\cos(\pi-t)\implies x(t)=-4\cos(t)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{3}=\sin(\pi-t)\implies y(t)=3\sin(t)\)

Do you see where $\pi-t$ comes from and why I used it, and then rewrote the trig. function with an appropriate identity?

Do you see now what you need to do for parts a) and b)?

I'm not sure where the \(\displaystyle \pi - t\) comes from, I don;t get it? But here is
what I did, I'm not sure if this is correct or if I just got lucky.

\(\displaystyle 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144\)

By dividing through by 144 I obtained:

\(\displaystyle (\frac{x}{4})^2 + (\frac{y}{3})^2 = 1\)

Since \(\displaystyle \cos^2 t + \sin^2 t = 1\)

I can say

\(\displaystyle (\frac{x}{4})^2 = \cos^2 t\)

square rooting both sides I get:

\(\displaystyle x/4 = \cos t\)

And then finally by clearing out fractions I get \(\displaystyle x = 4\cos t\)

Similarly solving for \(\displaystyle y\) I got \(\displaystyle y = 3\sin t\)

So if we are "starting" at (4,0) and the x position is positive would that mean that we are automatically going counter-clockwise? So since I need to start at \(\displaystyle 4,0\) and go clockwise, would I just change \(\displaystyle y = 3\sin t\) to be \(\displaystyle y = -3\sin t\) so that It would shoot the particle back thus going clockwise?

so : \(\displaystyle x = 4\cos t \) and \(\displaystyle y = -3\sin t\)
\(\displaystyle 0\le t \le 2\pi\) ?

In addition for part b,

wouldn't I just have x = \(\displaystyle 4cost\) and \(\displaystyle y = 3sint\)

becuase we are starting at \(\displaystyle (0,3)\) which is essentially \(\displaystyle \pi/2\)

So I can just add \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) because each trip is \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) right?

so I would have

\(\displaystyle x=4cost\) and \(\displaystyle y = 3sint\)

\(\displaystyle \pi/2 \le t \le 5\pi/2\) ?

In the example I gave, the point (-4,0) corresponds to an initial angle of $\pi$ and since we are moving in a clockwise direction we want to move in a negative direction, so the angle is \(\displaystyle \pi-t\).

So, for part a) what is the initial angle associated with the starting position of (4,0)?

And for part b), what is the initial angle associated with the point (0,3)?

Once you have the initial angles, then decide whether to add or subtract the parameter based on the given direction. After that, use the angle-sum/difference formulas for sine and cosine to simplify the parametrizations.

MarkFL said:
So, for part a) what is the initial angle associated with the starting position of (4,0)?

And for part b), what is the initial angle associated with the point (0,3)?

Oh I see now why it is going counter clockwise initially because the unit circle goes that way lol wow.

so for Part a the initial angle associated with the startnig position of 4,0 was 45 degrees

and for part b it was 90 degrees right?

shamieh said:
Oh I see now why it is going counter clockwise initially because the unit circle goes that way lol wow.

so for Part a the initial angle associated with the startnig position of 4,0 was 45 degrees

and for part b it was 90 degrees right?

You are correct for part b), although I would use radians. For part a), that starting point corresponds to an initial angle of 0. Plot the point and you will see this. So, can you now fill in the rest? What do you get?

oh wait nevermind I was looking at it wrong from my notes. It would just be \(\displaystyle \pi\) wouldn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

So for part a, (4,0) my initial angle was \(\displaystyle \pi\) and for part b, (0,3) my initial angle was \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} \)

shamieh said:
oh wait nevermind I was looking at it wrong from my notes. It would just be \(\displaystyle \pi\) wouldn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

So for part a, (4,0) my initial angle was \(\displaystyle \pi\) and for part b, (0,3) my initial angle was \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} \)

You are still wrong on part a) regarding the initial angle...plot the point. :D

MarkFL said:
You are still wrong on part a) regarding the initial angle...plot the point. :D

I rush through things way too fast and don't listen lol. I apologize. My initial angle for part a is definitely not what i stated \(\displaystyle (\pi)\) my initial angle for part a is definitely 0 degrees. Because I start at (4,0). which is 0 degrees or 0 radians right? Because it is essentially just the x - axis but on the right side of the unit cricle.

shamieh said:
I rush through things way too fast and don't listen lol. I apologize. My initial angle for part a is definitely not what i stated \(\displaystyle (\pi)\) my initial angle for part a is definitely 0 degrees. Because I start at (4,0). which is 0 degrees or 0 radians right? Because it is essentially just the x - axis but on the right side of the unit cricle.

Yes, that's correct...and you want to move in a clockwise direction, so what do you want the argument of the trig functions to be?

MarkFL said:
Yes, that's correct...and you want to move in a clockwise direction, so what do you want the argument of the trig functions to be?

So for part a I am moving counter clock-wise and I want to move clockwise so after solving I would get:

\(\displaystyle y = 3\sin t\) & \(\displaystyle x = 4\cos t \)

and this won't work, so I need to change the \(\displaystyle y\) value to be negative so it will go clockwise

\(\displaystyle \therefore\) \(\displaystyle x = 4\cos t\) & \(\displaystyle y = -3\sin t\) and then going around once I would just add \(\displaystyle 0 + 2\pi\) thus \(\displaystyle 0 \le t \le 2\pi\)Then in part b,

I would be starting at \(\displaystyle \pi/2\) and I need to go counterclockwise, but I am already going counter clockwise so I could just say x = 4cost & y = 3sint and add 2pi from where I am (pi/2) so \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi =\) \(\displaystyle 5pi/2\) so \(\displaystyle \pi/2 \le t \le 5\pi/2\)

Last edited:
You have the correct end result, but here's how I would look at it:

The angle will be:

\(\displaystyle 0-t=-t\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=4\cos(-t)=4\cos(t)\)

\(\displaystyle y(t)=3\sin(-t)=-3\sin(t)\)

You see how I used the identities (stemming from the respective symmetries of cosine and sine):

\(\displaystyle \cos(-\theta)=\cos(\theta)\) and \(\displaystyle \sin(-\theta)=-\sin(\theta)\) ?

Now, can you similarly do part b)?

shamieh said:
Then in part b,

I would be starting at \(\displaystyle \pi/2\) and I need to go counterclockwise, but I am already going counter clockwise so I could just say x = 4cost & y = 3sint and add 2pi from where I am (pi/2) so \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi =\) \(\displaystyle 5pi/2\) so \(\displaystyle \pi/2 \le t \le 5\pi/2\)

You added this part while I was composing my previous reply...

Yes you begin at an angle of \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) and because you are moving in a counter-clockwise direction you add $t$ so the argument for the trig. functions is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}+t\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=4\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+t \right)\)

\(\displaystyle y(t)=3\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+t \right)\)

Now, simplify using the angle-sum identities for cosine and sine...:D

isn't it just

\(\displaystyle x(t) = 4\cos(\frac{\pi}{2} + t) = 4cost\)

and

\(\displaystyle y(t) = 3\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} + t) = 3sint\)

so I just need to like at the sign on t basically?

shamieh said:
isn't it just

\(\displaystyle x(t) = 4\cos(\frac{\pi}{2} + t) = 4cost\)

and

\(\displaystyle y(t) = 3\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} + t) = 3sint\)

so I just need to like at the sign on t basically?

No, apply the angle-sum formulas:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos(\alpha)\cos(\beta)- \sin(\alpha)\sin(\beta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\alpha+\beta)=\sin(\alpha)\cos(\beta)+ \cos(\alpha)\sin(\beta)\)

What do you get?

MarkFL said:
No, apply the angle-sum formulas:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos(\alpha)\cos(\beta)- \sin(\alpha)\sin(\beta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\alpha+\beta)=\sin(\alpha)\cos(\beta)+ \cos(\alpha)\sin(\beta)\)

What do you get?

Ha. I can't be doing this right.. Thought I'd at least give it a try tho.(Dance)

\(\displaystyle x(t) = 4cos(\frac{\pi}{2} + t)\)
\(\displaystyle x(t) = 4[cos(\frac{\pi}{2})*cos(t) - sin(\frac{\pi}{2} * sin(t))]\)
\(\displaystyle x(t) = 4[0 - 1sin(t)]\)
\(\displaystyle x(t) = -4sin(t)\)

\(\displaystyle y(t) = 3sin(\frac{\pi}{2} + t)\)
\(\displaystyle y(t) = 3[sin(\frac{\pi}{2}*cos(t) + cos(\frac{\pi}{2} * sin(t)]\)
\(\displaystyle y(t) = 3\cos t\)

Yes! That's correct! (Star)

MarkFL said:
Yes! That's correct! (Star)

Oh I see, so there are multiple ways to do this problem

So \(\displaystyle x = 4\cos t y = 3\sin t 0 \le t \le 2\pi\) is one solution

and

\(\displaystyle x = -4\sin t ...y = 3\cos t\) is another solution for part b as well?

Seems peculiar since one of them is negative and one is positive , you would think both would need to be positive for it to go counter clockwise.. Would that mean that when it gets to \(\displaystyle 3cost\) it turns around?

shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle x = -4\sin t ...y = 3\cos t\) is another solution for part b as well?...

No...you found the correct solution.

MarkFL said:
No...you found the correct solution.

my teacher has the answer for part a as:
\(\displaystyle x = 4cos(t)\)
\(\displaystyle y = -3sin(t)\),\(\displaystyle 0 \le t \le 2\pi\)

and for part b he has:
\(\displaystyle x = 4cos(t)\)
\(\displaystyle y = 3sin(t)\), \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} \le t \le \frac{5\pi}{2}\)

.. Has he made a mistake?

You teacher has just defined $t$ on a different interval than we did. The two parametrizations are equivalent. We simply incorporated the phase shift of \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) into our answer so that for us, we have:

\(\displaystyle 0\le t<2\pi\)

Yea so I know I've probably drove you crazy with this problem, but I have another question. Today after I solved for x and y, my teacher simply plugged in \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) into the equation which ended up working out good because:

for Part A: \(\displaystyle x = 4cos(pi/2)\) & \(\displaystyle y = 3sin(pi/2)\)

x = 0 and y = 3 which we know is NOT the way we need to go, since we want to go clockwise, so then he simply put x = 4cost and y = -3sint to make it go the other way.

Similarly I'm wondering if this would also be correct to say for part B:

Starting at 0,3 and wanting to go counter clock-wise -

plugging in \(\displaystyle \pi\) for each equation I obtained: x = -4 and y = 0 so could I just say that \(\displaystyle x = 4cost\) and \(\displaystyle y = 3sint\) for part B correct? since we know that we will still be going counter clockwise?

shamieh said:
Similarly I'm wondering if this would also be correct to say for part B:

Starting at 0,3 and wanting to go counter clock-wise -

plugging in \(\displaystyle \pi\) for each equation I obtained: x = -4 and y = 0 so could I just say that \(\displaystyle x = 4cost\) and \(\displaystyle y = 3sint\) for part B correct? since we know that we will still be going counter clockwise?

If you define the interval for $t$ appropriately as your teacher did, then you could state that.

I just prefer for the parameter $t$ to be defined as $0\le t<2\pi$ and adjust the parametrizations of $x$ and $y$ accordingly. It just makes more sense to me like that. There are an infinite number of ways to correctly define the parameters though.

Related to Finding the parametrization of the curve

1. What is a parametrization of a curve?

A parametrization of a curve is a way of representing the coordinates of points on a curve using one or more parameters, typically denoted by t. This allows for a more flexible and efficient way of describing the curve's shape and location.

2. Why is finding the parametrization of a curve important?

Parametrization of a curve is important because it allows for easier mathematical analysis and manipulation of the curve. It also makes it possible to use curve equations in various applications, such as computer graphics and engineering.

3. How do you find the parametrization of a curve?

The process of finding the parametrization of a curve depends on the specific curve and its characteristics. In general, it involves solving for the coordinates of the curve using one or more parameters, often with the help of equations and known points on the curve.

4. Can every curve be parametrized?

Not every curve can be parametrized, as some curves may have complex shapes or characteristics that make it difficult or impossible to represent using a finite number of parameters.

5. How does the parametrization of a curve affect its properties?

The parametrization of a curve can affect certain properties, such as its arc length, curvature, and tangent vector. A well-chosen parametrization can make it easier to calculate these properties and understand the behavior of the curve.