Finding the partition function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the internal energy, Helmholtz free energy, and entropy of a solid with N localized, non-interacting molecules. The internal energy can be calculated by multiplying N by the average energy, which is determined by the partition function, Z. The correct technique is to use the equation U = N * sum of (energy * probability of that energy). The partition function can be found using the equation Z = Ʃe-E(s)/kT. The correct solution for U is 2Nεe-εβ/(1 + 2εe-εβ).
S_Flaherty

Homework Statement

Consider a solid of N localized, non-interacting molecules, each of which has three quantum states with energies 0, ε, ε, where ε > 0 is a function of volume.

Question: Find the internal energy, Helmholtz free energy, and entropy.

Homework Equations

Z = Ʃe-E(s)/kT
U = -N(dlnZ/dβ)
S = U/T + NklnZ
F = U - TS = -NkTlnZ

The Attempt at a Solution

For the internal energy would I just multiply N by the average energy?
So U = N((0 + ε + ε)/3) = 2Nε/3?

I also know there are equations for the three of these values that require the partition function, Z.

I know Z = Ʃe-E(s)/kT so would this just be
Z = 1 + e-ε/kT + e-ε/kT = 1 + 2e-ε/kT
U = -N(dlnZ/dβ)
lnZ = ln(1) + ln(2e-ε/kT) = ln2 - εβ, so U = Nε...

Which one of those solutions for U is the correct one? Or am I wrong in both cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
Second is right technique, although you've mathed wrongly.

for three states: 0, 1, 2
U = avg energy = E(0) P(0) + E(1) P(1) + E(2) P(2)

For E(0)=0, E(1)=E(2) =ε,
and P(energy) = exp(-energy/kT)/Z
P(0) = 1/Z, P(1)=P(2)=exp(-ε/kT)/Z

qbert said:
Second is right technique, although you've mathed wrongly.

for three states: 0, 1, 2
U = avg energy = E(0) P(0) + E(1) P(1) + E(2) P(2)

For E(0)=0, E(1)=E(2) =ε,
and P(energy) = exp(-energy/kT)/Z
P(0) = 1/Z, P(1)=P(2)=exp(-ε/kT)/Z

So, I get U = 2εe-ε/kT/Z

I just figured out something I did wrong with Z. dlnZ/dβ = (-2εe-εβ)/(1 + 2εe-εβ) so U = (2Nεe-εβ)/(1 + 2εe-εβ) ? Or did I mess something up?

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding the partition function

What is the partition function?

The partition function, denoted as Z, is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics. It is used to describe the distribution of particles over various energy states in a system.

Why is the partition function important?

The partition function allows us to calculate important thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the internal energy, entropy, and free energy. It also provides a link between microscopic properties of a system and macroscopic thermodynamic properties.

How do you calculate the partition function?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of a system, where each state is weighted by the Boltzmann factor, e^(-Ei/kT), where Ei is the energy of the state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

What is the relationship between the partition function and the canonical ensemble?

The partition function is the cornerstone of the canonical ensemble, which is a statistical ensemble used to describe systems in equilibrium with a heat bath at a fixed temperature. The partition function is used to calculate the average values of thermodynamic variables in the canonical ensemble.

Can the partition function be used for all types of systems?

The partition function can be used for both classical and quantum mechanical systems. It is also applicable to systems with different types of interactions, such as ideal gases, solids, and liquids. However, it may require different mathematical formulations for different types of systems.