Finding the Phase Angle for a Differential Equation Solution

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Trig
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to a differential equation. The solution involves putting it in the form of Asin(wt + phi) and the person is having trouble finding the correct value for the phase angle. They have tried different methods but none of them have given the correct answer. They are seeking help to find the correct value, which is 3.6052.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

This is a solutuion to a differential equation I've solved:

[tex] -cos(\sqrt(2)t) - 2sin(\sqrt(2)t) [/tex]

I've been asked to put it in the form:

[tex] Asin(wt + phi) [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A= sqrt(-1^2 + -2^2) [/tex]

[tex] phi = sin^{-1}phi = \frac{c1}{A} [/tex]
[tex] phi = cos^{-1} phi = \frac{c2}{A} [/tex]
and
[tex] phi = tan^{-1} phi = \frac{c1}{c2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 5

[tex] phi = sin^{-1}phi = \frac{-1}{\sqrt(5)} [/tex]
[tex] phi = -0.4636[/tex]

[tex] phi = cos^{-1} phi = \frac{-2}{\sqrt(5)} [/tex]
[tex] phi = 2.678[/tex]

and
[tex] phi = tan^{-1} phi = \frac{-1}{-2} [/tex]
[tex] phi = 0.4636[/tex]

Can you help with the phase angle? (3 different answers - none of which are correct)

The book has 3.6052 which I see is pi + 0.4636.

Thanks
-Sparky

Physics news on Phys.org
Sparky_ said:
A = 5
A isn't 5. You miswrote your answer here, despite having found the correct one.

Sparky_ said:
[tex] \phi = sin^{-1}\phi = \frac{-1}{\sqrt(5)} [/tex]
[tex] \phi = -0.4636[/tex]

[tex] \phi = cos^{-1} \phi = \frac{-2}{\sqrt(5)} [/tex]
[tex] \phi = 2.678[/tex]

The "basic angle" (do you use that term? I don't know if this is the proper term) of [tex]\phi[/tex] is 0.4636.

[tex]sin \ \phi = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex] Are you familiar with the trigonometric quadrants ASTC, where A is the top right hand quadrant and the rest are labeled in that order anti-clockwise?

From that diagram, sin is negative for the bottom 2 quadrants. That means to say the angle phi is either [tex]\pi + \phi \ \mbox{or} \ -\phi[/tex]'

[tex]cos \ \phi = -\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}} [/tex] Again you want the values of the angle for which cos phi is negative. From the ASTC quadrant diagram, cosine is negative for [tex]\pi - \phi \ \mbox{or} \ \pi + \phi[/tex]

The only possible solution which satisfies both is [tex]\pi + \phi[/tex].

Defennder said:
A isn't 5. You miswrote your answer here, despite having found the correct one.

Oops, typing error, I meant [tex] A= \sqrt(-1^2 + -2^2) [/tex]

[tex] A= \sqrt(5) [/tex]

Thanks

Related to Finding the Phase Angle for a Differential Equation Solution

What is trig form conversion?

Trig form conversion is the process of converting a complex number from its rectangular form to its polar form, or vice versa. In rectangular form, a complex number is expressed as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, while in polar form, it is expressed as a magnitude and an angle.

Why is trig form conversion important?

Trig form conversion is important because it allows us to easily perform mathematical operations on complex numbers. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the properties of complex numbers, such as their magnitude and phase angle.

What are the steps for converting from rectangular to polar form?

The steps for converting from rectangular to polar form are: 1) Calculate the magnitude of the complex number using the Pythagorean theorem, 2) Calculate the phase angle using inverse trigonometric functions, and 3) Write the complex number in the form of magnitude * (cosine(phase angle) + i*sin(phase angle)).

What are the steps for converting from polar to rectangular form?

The steps for converting from polar to rectangular form are: 1) Use the magnitude and phase angle to find the real and imaginary parts of the complex number using trigonometric functions, and 2) Write the complex number in the form of real part + imaginary part * i.

Can trig form conversion be applied to all complex numbers?

Yes, trig form conversion can be applied to all complex numbers. However, for some complex numbers, the calculations may be more complicated and require the use of advanced techniques such as De Moivre's theorem.