Finding the point of intersection and distance of a vector

In summary, to find the point of intersection between the plane P and the line L, you can set the parametric equation of the line equal to the standard equation of the plane and solve for t and s. Then, use the distance formula to find the distance from p to P by plugging in the coordinates of p and the point of intersection.
InvaznGSC

Homework Statement

Let P be the plane of Problem 9 and let L be the line perpendicular to P and passing through the point p=(1,1,2). Find the point of intersection between P and L and use it to compute the distance from p to P.

Question 9 is this:
Use the cross product to obtain the normal and standard equations of the plane P of problem 5.

Question 5 is this:
Verify that the points p_1=(0,0,1), p_2=(1,1,1) and p_3=(-1,0,1) are not aligned, and find the vector parametric equation of the plane P in R^3 that passes through them.

Homework Equations

Would I have to the the standard/normal equation from question 9 or the vector parametric equation from question 5?

How do you integrate the point, p=(1,1,2) into the any of the above equations?

Would the line perpendicular to P be similar to the normal found in question 9?

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 5:
q=P_1+(P_2-P_1)
q=(0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)
(-1,0,1) = (0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)

-1 = 0+1t --> -1=t
0=0+1t --> 0=t
1=1+0t --> 1=1

Therefore they are not aligned.

Vector parametric equation:
[x,y,z]=q=P_1+t(P_2-P_1)+s(P_3-P_1)
[x,y,z]=q=(0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)+s(-1,0,0)

For question 9:
P_1P_3 = (-1,0,0) P_1P_3 = (1,1,0)

I used the cross product to find the normal to be (0,0,-1) then plugged it into the equation:
a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0) = 0

and then i got:

0x+0y-z+1 = 0 as my standard equation

I honestly have no idea where to begin for problem 10. I tried placing the point (1,1,2) into both equations, and I'm not sure if I am supposed to do that, and if I was, I wouldn't know how to use it to find the distance. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

For problem 10, you can use the point of intersection between P and L to find the distance from p to P. To find this point of intersection, you can set the parametric equation of the line L equal to the standard equation of the plane P and solve for t and s. This will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Once you have the coordinates of the point of intersection, you can use the distance formula to find the distance from p to P. This formula is: distance = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2), where (x1,y1,z1) are the coordinates of p and (x2,y2,z2) are the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Hope this helps!

Related to Finding the point of intersection and distance of a vector

1. What is the point of intersection between two vectors?

The point of intersection between two vectors is the point at which the two vectors intersect or cross each other. It is the point where the two vectors have the same coordinates.

2. How do you find the point of intersection between two vectors?

To find the point of intersection between two vectors, you must first set up a system of equations using the coordinates of the two vectors. Then, solve for the variables to determine the coordinates of the point of intersection.

3. What is the distance between two vectors?

The distance between two vectors is the length of the shortest path connecting the two vectors. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, taking into account the magnitude and direction of the two vectors.

4. How do you calculate the distance between two vectors?

To calculate the distance between two vectors, you can use the formula d = √(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2, where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the two vectors.

5. Can the point of intersection and distance between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the point of intersection and distance between two vectors can be negative. This can happen when the two vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative distance. The point of intersection can also have negative coordinates if the vectors are not aligned with the axes.