Finding the points of a cube given two points.

• Thread starter ilikeintegrals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Points
In summary, the question asks to find the points B, D, A', B', C', and D' on a cube placed in space and cut by the xy plane, with known points A and C. The solution involves finding the z-axis height of the cube, using dot products and the fact that the sides of the cube are all equal. Sketching the cube in a rectangular coordinate system can help visualize the problem and find possible solutions.
ilikeintegrals
Question:
A cube ABCD, has been placed somewhere in space and is cut by the xy plane. The z-axis indicates the height of the cube. We know that A = <10,7,4> and C = <9,5,6>, find B, D, A', B', C', D' (Where A', B', C', D' are the points which intersect with the xy plane. B and D have the same Z component. The origin is arbitrary.

Solution:
View from above.
image1.gif

OA = <10,7,4>
OB = <u, v, w>
OC = <9,5,6>
OD = <x, y, w>
AB = OB - OA = <u-10, v-7, w-4>
DC = OC - OD = <9 - x, 5 - y, 6 - w>
AB = DC
=> u-10 = 9-x
=> v-7 = 5-y
=> w-4=6-w, => w = 5

Using the equality of the other lines I get the same equations. I tried to construct a system of equations from a series of dot products (AB.BC = 0,BC.CD = 0, CD.DA = 0, DA.AB = 0), but mathematica is acting up and I don't think it can be solved. I also know that the length of the sides are all equal. But again, this gives a non-linear system of equations that can't be solved. I think that's all the information I can deduce. I am really stuck and would appreciate help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be useless, but given the information you have sketch the top of the cube in a rectangular coordinate system with some care, square ABCD. Once I did the problem made sense and possible paths forward became apparent. For example a look at my sketch and I know z coordinates of B and D are the average of z coordinates A and C?

Related to Finding the points of a cube given two points.

1. How do you find the points of a cube given two points?

To find the points of a cube given two points, you can use the midpoint formula and the distance formula. The midpoint formula will give you the center point of the cube, and the distance formula will help you find the other points by using the center point and the distance between the two given points.

2. What is the midpoint formula?

The midpoint formula is a mathematical formula that helps find the midpoint of a line segment. It is (x1 + x2)/2 for the x-coordinate and (y1 + y2)/2 for the y-coordinate, where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two given points.

3. How do you use the distance formula to find the points of a cube?

The distance formula is used to find the distance between two points. In the context of finding the points of a cube, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between the center point (found using the midpoint formula) and one of the given points. This distance will then be used to calculate the coordinates of the other points of the cube.

4. Can you find the points of a cube given three points?

Yes, it is possible to find the points of a cube given three points. Similar to finding the points with two given points, you can use the midpoint and distance formulas to find the center point and the distance between the center point and one of the given points. With this information, you can then find the coordinates of the remaining points of the cube.

5. What is the importance of finding the points of a cube?

Finding the points of a cube is important in various fields such as mathematics, computer graphics, and engineering. In mathematics, it helps in solving geometric problems and understanding the properties of a cube. In computer graphics, it is used to create three-dimensional objects and in engineering, it is used for designing and building structures with a cube-shaped component.