Finding the Position Vector of a Point to Achieve Half Torque of a Particle

In summary, the torque acting on a particle located at (5.00i + 7.00j) m and experiencing a force of (3.00i + 2.00j) N is -11k. There exists a point (-1.1, 1.65) where the torque is in the opposite direction and half the magnitude, and this point does not lie on the y-axis. This point was found using the dot product of the force and position vectors and the fact that the magnitude of the torque at this point is half of the original torque.
Th3Proj3ct

Homework Statement

A particle is located at the vector position =(5.00i + 7.00j) m and a force exerted on it is given by =(3.00i + 2.00j) N.
(a) What is the torque acting on the particle about the origin?

(b) Consider another point about which the torque caused by this force on this particle will be in the opposite direction and half as large in magnitude. Select the following conditions that are true.
No such point can exist.
Only one such point can exist.
Multiple such points can exist.
No such a point can lie on the y-axis.
Only one such point can lie on the y-axis.
Multiple such points can lie on the y-axis.

Determine the position vector of such a point.
[only the J position]

Homework Equations

dot, product, Torque = F*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A i got, by the cross product: 10k-21k=-11k
Part B i got 3 and 5, multiply points can exist, but only 1 on the Y-axis.
Yet for Part C I'm lost, I assume the i position is the same (3) so the i would have to be a value to make the total torque 5.5 (half of 11). When i put in 1.357for j; dot product would give: 15k-9.5k=5.5k, which is half the magnitude, and opposite direction. But apparently I am doing something wrong. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. It seems like you have a solid understanding of the concepts involved in this problem. Let's go through your solution for part C and see where you may have gone wrong.

You correctly identified that the torque acting on the particle is -11k. This means that the torque must be balanced by an equal and opposite torque in order for the particle to remain in equilibrium. This can only occur if there is a point where the force and the position vectors are perpendicular to each other.

To find this point, we can use the dot product of the force and position vectors. We know that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to zero, so we can set up the following equation:

(3i + 2j) * (xi + yj) = 0

Expanding this out, we get:

3x + 2y = 0

This means that the point (x,y) must satisfy this equation. We can also use the fact that the magnitude of the torque at this point is half of the original torque, so we can set up another equation:

(3i + 2j) * (xi + yj) = -5.5k

Expanding this out, we get:

3x + 2y = -5.5

We now have a system of two equations with two unknowns. Solving for x and y, we get:

x = -1.1
y = 1.65

This means that the point (-1.1, 1.65) satisfies both equations and would be the position vector of the point where the torque is in the opposite direction and half the magnitude. Note that this point does not lie on the y-axis, as it has a non-zero x value. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Good luck with your studies!

Your approach for Part A and Part B seems correct. For Part C, you are on the right track but your calculation for the position vector of the point is not quite accurate. To find the position vector, you need to divide the torque by the force, not the other way around. So the correct calculation would be (5.5k)/(3i+2j) = 1.833i + 1.222j. This position vector would give a torque of 5.5k, which is half the magnitude of the original torque and in the opposite direction. This position vector lies on the line passing through the origin and the original position vector of the particle, and it is the only point on that line that satisfies the given conditions.

Related to Finding the Position Vector of a Point to Achieve Half Torque of a Particle

What does it mean to find the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle?

Finding the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle means determining the location in space where a force can be applied to a particle in order to produce half of the maximum possible rotational force, or torque.

Why is it important to find the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle?

This calculation is important in engineering and physics applications, where precise control of rotational forces is necessary. By finding the position vector, the exact location of a force can be determined to achieve a desired level of torque on a particle.

What factors affect the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle?

The position vector is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the particle, the distance between the point of application and the particle, and the orientation of the particle in relation to the force.

How is the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle calculated?

The position vector can be calculated using vector algebra and trigonometric functions. It involves finding the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation and using the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the vector.

Can the position vector of a point to achieve half torque of a particle be negative?

Yes, the position vector can be negative if the force is applied in the opposite direction of the desired torque. This means that the location where the force should be applied is on the opposite side of the axis of rotation from the particle.

Back