Finding the power loss in a wire of varying cross-sectional area

Glenn G
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Finding the power loss in a wire of varying area - my problem is I don't know how to set up the integral

Hopefully you can see in the diagram below that the area of the wire varies linearly with length. I know the equations for resistance and power loss and I can express the resistance of a thin slice but need to integrate over the whole wire to get the full resistance - to find power then it is trivial. I've thought about this for a good while now but can't get it. Please help, this isn't homework (I'm very old and doing this for fun!)

1697391629568.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no answer for you but as an EE I have to comment --- that is one WEIRD "wire" :smile:

Just FYI, chicken scratching for problem posts is frowned on here. Best to type it in and Latex is encouraged.

Ok noted for future

Glenn G said:
TL;DR Summary: Finding the power loss in a wire of varying area - my problem is I don't know how to set up the integral

Hopefully you can see in the diagram below that the area of the wire varies linearly with length. I know the equations for resistance and power loss and I can express the resistance of a thin slice but need to integrate over the whole wire to get the full resistance - to find power then it is trivial. I've thought about this for a good while now but can't get it. Please help, this isn't homework (I'm very old and doing this for fun!)

View attachment 333623
##r## is a function of ##x##, not ##dx##.

Hi. Your description says 'the area of the wire varies linearly with length'. But the handwritten work says 'radius increases linearly with length'. The two statements are incompatible!

Also, 'length' is a constant for a given wire. I guess what you really mean is one of:
a) cross-sectional-area (CSA) varies linearly with distance along wire;
or
b) radius varies linearly with distance along wire.

For a conical wire:

the radius ##r_1 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}}## and ##r_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}}## so ##r(x) = r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L}## where ##x \equiv 0## at ##r_1## and ##x \equiv L## at ##r_2##

The resistance of a thin disk at ##x## is ##R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi r(x)^2}dx##

Then the total resistance is ##R = \int_0^L R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{r(x)^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{(r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L})^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} \left. \frac{1}{(r_1 + x\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} \right|_0^L##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{(r_1 + L\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{r_2 } -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_1 r_2 } ) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi r_1 r_2 } ##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}} } = \frac{\rho L}{\sqrt{A_1 A_2} } ##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
FWIW, in 'Real World', you would also have change of conductivity with position due temperature rise.
Think 'open', H-shaped fuses...

DaveE said:
For a conical wire:

the radius ##r_1 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}}## and ##r_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}}## so ##r(x) = r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L}## where ##x \equiv 0## at ##r_1## and ##x \equiv L## at ##r_2##

The resistance of a thin disk at ##x## is ##R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi r(x)^2}dx##

Then the total resistance is ##R = \int_0^L R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{r(x)^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{(r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L})^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} \left. \frac{1}{(r_1 + x\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} \right|_0^L##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{(r_1 + L\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{r_2 } -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_1 r_2 } ) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi r_1 r_2 } ##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}} } = \frac{\rho L}{\sqrt{A_1 A_2} } ##
That's fine if ##L>>r_2-r_1##. Otherwise there is the complication that current near the surface of the wire has further to travel than that near the core.

Likes DaveE
haruspex said:
That's fine if ##L>>r_2-r_1##. Otherwise there is the complication that current near the surface of the wire has further to travel than that near the core.
Yes, there's a subtle assumption that the "disks" are truly just in series; i.e. radial current flow isn't significant.

Related to Finding the power loss in a wire of varying cross-sectional area

1. How do you calculate power loss in a wire with varying cross-sectional area?

To calculate power loss in a wire with varying cross-sectional area, you need to integrate the power loss over the length of the wire. The power loss per unit length can be expressed as \( P(x) = I^2 \cdot \rho(x) \cdot \frac{1}{A(x)} \), where \( I \) is the current, \( \rho(x) \) is the resistivity at position \( x \), and \( A(x) \) is the cross-sectional area at position \( x \). The total power loss is then the integral of \( P(x) \) over the length of the wire.

2. What role does resistivity play in power loss for a wire of varying cross-sectional area?

Resistivity (\( \rho \)) is a material property that affects how much resistance the wire has to the flow of electric current. In a wire with varying cross-sectional area, the resistivity can either be constant or a function of position. The power loss is directly proportional to the resistivity; higher resistivity results in greater power loss for a given current and cross-sectional area.

3. How does the cross-sectional area of the wire affect power loss?

The cross-sectional area (\( A(x) \)) of the wire inversely affects the power loss. A larger cross-sectional area results in lower resistance and thus lower power loss, while a smaller cross-sectional area results in higher resistance and higher power loss. In a wire with varying cross-sectional area, the power loss needs to be calculated by considering the area at each point along the wire.

4. Can you use a simplified formula for power loss in a wire with a constant cross-sectional area?

Yes, for a wire with a constant cross-sectional area, the power loss can be simplified to \( P = I^2 \cdot R \), where \( R \) is the total resistance of the wire. The resistance \( R \) can be calculated using \( R = \rho \cdot \frac{L}{A} \), where \( L \) is the length of the wire, \( \rho \) is the resistivity, and \( A \) is the constant cross-sectional area.

5. How do you account for temperature variations in calculating power loss in a wire?

Temperature variations affect the resistivity of the wire material. As temperature increases, the resistivity typically increases, leading to higher power loss. To account for temperature variations, you can use the temperature coefficient of resistivity, \( \alpha \), to adjust the resistivity value: \( \rho(T) = \rho_0 \cdot (1 +