Finding the Primitive of a Complex Integral

In summary, the primitive of $\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz$ from $i$ to $2-i$ can be found by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus on the function $ze^{z^2}$.
Dustinsfl
How can I find the primitive of $\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz$ from $i$ to $2-i$?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How can I find the primitive of $\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz$ from $i$ to $2-i$?

$$\int z e^{z^{2}}\,dz=\frac{1}{2}\int 2z e^{z^{2}}\,dz.$$

Can you finish?

Ackbach said:
$$\int z e^{z^{2}}\,dz=\frac{1}{2}\int 2z e^{z^{2}}\,dz.$$

Can you finish?

So $\left(\frac{e^{z^2}}{2}\right)'=\int ze^{z^2}dz$ Then to solve the integral I just integrate g'(z) right?

dwsmith said:
So $\left(\frac{e^{z^2}}{2}\right)'=\int ze^{z^2}dz$ Then to solve the integral I just integrate g'(z) right?

Actually, I would have said that

$$\left(\frac{e^{z^{2}}}{2}\right)'=ze^{z^{2}}.$$

Then just use the Fundamenal Theorem of the Calculus, which works because your function is analytic.

The primitive of a complex integral can be found by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for Complex Functions, which states that the primitive of a complex function is the antiderivative of the function. In this case, the antiderivative of $ze^{z^2}$ is simply $e^{z^2}$.

To find the primitive of the given integral from $i$ to $2-i$, we can use the following steps:

1. Rewrite the integral using the antiderivative: $\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz = \left[e^{z^2}\right]_{\gamma}$.

2. Substitute the upper limit of integration, $2-i$, into the antiderivative: $e^{(2-i)^2}$.

3. Substitute the lower limit of integration, $i$, into the antiderivative: $e^{i^2} = e^{-1}$.

4. Subtract the result from step 3 from the result of step 2: $e^{(2-i)^2} - e^{-1}$.

Therefore, the primitive of the given integral from $i$ to $2-i$ is $e^{(2-i)^2} - e^{-1}$.

FAQ: Finding the Primitive of a Complex Integral

1. What is the definition of a primitive of a complex integral?

A primitive of a complex integral is a function whose derivative is equal to the integrand. In other words, it is the reverse process of integration.

2. How do you find the primitive of a complex integral?

To find the primitive of a complex integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by parts. You can also use substitution or partial fractions for more complicated integrals.

3. Why is finding the primitive of a complex integral important?

Finding the primitive of a complex integral is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps us to evaluate definite integrals, which are useful in calculating areas, volumes, and other quantities.

4. What are some common techniques used to find the primitive of a complex integral?

Some common techniques used to find the primitive of a complex integral include integration by parts, substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. Other techniques such as using tables of integrals and computer programs can also be helpful in finding the primitive of a complex integral.

5. Are there any tips for finding the primitive of a complex integral?

Yes, here are a few tips for finding the primitive of a complex integral:

• Always check if the integrand is a basic function, such as a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function, before using more complicated techniques.
  • When using substitution, choose a substitution that will simplify the integrand or make it easier to integrate.
  • Keep in mind that the primitive of a complex integral is not unique, as it depends on the constant of integration.