Finding the Probability of Flipping 500 Heads and Tails

In summary, the probability of flipping exactly 500 heads and 500 tails when flipping 1000 coins is 1/2^1000. This can be calculated using the binomial distribution method or by using Stirling's approximation for large N.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Suppose you flip 1000 coins, what is the probability of flipping exactly 500 heads and 500 tails. (Hint: First write down the formula for the total number of possible outcomes. Then, to determine the "multiplicity" of the 500-500 macro state, use stirlings approximation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a couple of these problems (successfully) with the binomial distribution method so am I wrong in stating the following equality? Or is this correct and I should just use the stirlings method to make N!~ NlnN - N at large N and then use this to simplify the probability I wrote? Thanks!

probability = (1000 choose 500)((.5)^500)*((.5)^500)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. Stirling's formula will allow you to calculate that, yes.
And WolframAlpha can do it as well.

bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you flip 1000 coins, what is the probability of flipping exactly 500 heads and 500 tails. (Hint: First write down the formula for the total number of possible outcomes. Then, to determine the "multiplicity" of the 500-500 macro state, use stirlings approximation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a couple of these problems (successfully) with the binomial distribution method so am I wrong in stating the following equality? Or is this correct and I should just use the stirlings method to make N!~ NlnN - N at large N and then use this to simplify the probability I wrote? Thanks!

probability = (1000 choose 500)((.5)^500)*((.5)^500)

Yes, that is correct. Notice also that ##.5^{500} \times .5^{500} = .5^{1000} = 1/2^{1000}##.

Related to Finding the Probability of Flipping 500 Heads and Tails

What is probability calculation?

Probability calculation is the process of determining the likelihood of a particular event occurring. It involves using mathematical principles and formulas to analyze and quantify the chances of an event happening.

Why is probability calculation important?

Probability calculation is important because it allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes. It is used in various fields such as science, economics, and finance to assess risk and make strategic decisions.

What are the different types of probability?

The three main types of probability are theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on observed data and is used to make predictions about future events. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs and opinions.

How do you calculate probability?

The formula for calculating probability is: P(A) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes. This formula can be applied to different scenarios, such as rolling a dice or drawing cards from a deck, to determine the probability of a specific outcome occurring.

What factors can affect probability?

Some factors that can affect probability include sample size, assumptions made in the calculation, and external variables such as environmental conditions. Additionally, the probability of an event may change over time as new information is gathered.