Finding the projection of a vector.

In summary, to find vectors w1 and w2 given a line L with parametric equations and a vector v, we can first construct the line L by using the coefficients as the direction vector and a point on the line as the origin. Next, we can find w1 by using the formula w1=kL, where k is found by taking the dot product of v and L and dividing by the length of L squared. Finally, w2 can be found by subtracting w1 from v. It is important to use the direction vector of L as the parameter for w1 to ensure it is parallel to L.
Jundoe
I would like to verify this problem from an introductory to Linear Algebra course.

It goes as follows:

Let L be the line with parametric equations x=2+3t, y=1-2t, z=-2+t, and let v=(3,2,2). Find vectors w1 and w2 such that v=w1+w2, and such that w1 is parallel to L and w2 is perpendicular to L.

This is how I proceeded:

From the given parametric equations I constructed the vectors:
line L: a=(3, -2, 1) and b=(2,1,-2).

To find w1, I know that w1= kL

And to find k: (v.L)/||L||2
And w2 is just a matter of: w2=v-w1

The issue I am facing is, which vector do I chose for the L?
I have found 2 vectors from the parametric equations.
Should I simply take the difference? a-b= (1,-3,3)?

Thank You.

[edit.]

If I stick to my L line being equal to (1,-3,3), due to the fact that b is my position vector, then:

w1 = 3/19(1,-3,3)
w2 = (3,2,2) - 3/19(1,-3,3)

Am I completely off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jundoe said:
I would like to verify this problem from an introductory to Linear Algebra course.

It goes as follows:

Let L be the line with parametric equations x=2+3t, y=1-2t, z=-2+t, and let v=(3,2,2). Find vectors w1 and w2 such that v=w1+w2, and such that w1 is parallel to L andw2 is perpendicular to L.

This is how I proceeded:

From the given parametric equations I constructed the vectors:
line L: a=(3, -2, 1) and b=(2,1,-2).

To find w1, I know that w1= kL

And to find k: (v.L)/||L||2
And w2 is just a matter of: w2=v-w1

The issue I am facing is, which vector do I chose for the L?
I have found 2 vectors from the parametric equations.
Should I simply take the difference? a-b= (1,-3,3)?

Thank You.
Hi Jundoe, and welcome to MHB!

You have got the equation of the line L as $(x,y,z) = \mathbf{b} + \mathbf{a}t.$ In that equation, $\mathbf{b}$ (the constant) is a point on the line, and $\mathbf{a}$ (the coefficient of $t$) gives the direction of the line. So you want to take $\mathbf{a}$ as the parameter for $\mathbf{w}_1$, because you want $\mathbf{w}_1$ to point in the same direction as L.

Opalg said:
Hi Jundoe, and welcome to MHB!

You have got the equation of the line L as $(x,y,z) = \mathbf{b} + \mathbf{a}t.$ In that equation, $\mathbf{b}$ (the constant) is a point on the line, and $\mathbf{a}$ (the coefficient of $t$) gives the direction of the line. So you want to take $\mathbf{a}$ as the parameter for $\mathbf{w}_1$, because you want $\mathbf{w}_1$ to point in the same direction as L.

Thank you for replying! So in other words, the position of the vector–its origin–is irrelevant in this matter?

So, ignoring the point. I would have the following:

w1= 1/2(3,-2,1)
w2= (3,2,2)-1/2(3,-2,1)= (3/2, 3, 3/2)

Hope I didn't do any careless mistakes, does that seem about right?

Jundoe said:
Thank you for replying! So in other words, the position of the vector–its origin–is irrelevant in this matter?

So, ignoring the point. I would have the following:

w1= 1/2(3,-2,1)
w2= (3,2,2)-1/2(3,-2,1)= (3/2, 3, 3/2)

Hope I didn't do any careless mistakes, does that seem about right?
Correct! (Yes)

FAQ: Finding the projection of a vector.

1. What is a vector projection?

A vector projection is the process of finding the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector.

2. Why is finding the projection of a vector important?

Finding the projection of a vector is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to solve problems involving force, motion, and geometry.

3. How is the projection of a vector calculated?

The projection of a vector can be calculated using the dot product formula: projvw = (v · w) / ||v||2 * v, where v is the vector we are projecting onto and w is the vector we want to find the projection of.

4. Can the projection of a vector be negative?

Yes, the projection of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the vector we are projecting onto.

5. How is the projection of a vector used in real-world applications?

The projection of a vector is used in many real-world applications, such as computer graphics, navigation systems, and satellite imaging. It can also be used in physics to calculate the work done by a force in a particular direction.