Finding the radian value of this angle which passes through a point

In summary: So, cos-1 was the correct choice for finding the angle value.In summary, when finding the radian value of an angle in standard position, it is important to consider the quadrant in which the terminal arm lies. In this case, the angle is in the 2nd quadrant, so the correct function to use is cos-1, which returns an angle in the interval [0,2∏].
Ace.

Homework Statement

The terminal arm of an angle in standard position passes through (-7,8). Find the radian value of the angle in the interval [0,2∏], to the nearest hundredth.

Homework Equations

sinθ = [itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
cosθ = [itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex]
tanθ = [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The terminal arm is in quadrant 2, and I found the side lengths to be -7,8, and [itex]\sqrt{113}[/itex] (hypotenuse). When I tried to find the value of θ I get different answers for different ratios.

θ = sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
= 0.85​

θ = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{-7}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
= 2.29​

θ = tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{-7}[/itex]
= -0.85​

The correct one is θ=2.29. Why is this correct and not the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point -7,8 is in the second quadrant. So θ is less than π and greater than π/2.

Ace. said:

Homework Statement

The terminal arm of an angle in standard position passes through (-7,8). Find the radian value of the angle in the interval [0,2∏], to the nearest hundredth.

Homework Equations

sinθ = [itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
cosθ = [itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex]
tanθ = [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The terminal arm is in quadrant 2, and I found the side lengths to be -7,8, and [itex]\sqrt{113}[/itex] (hypotenuse). When I tried to find the value of θ I get different answers for different ratios.

θ = sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
= 0.85​

θ = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{-7}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
= 2.29​

θ = tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{-7}[/itex]
= -0.85​

The correct one is θ=2.29. Why is this correct and not the others?
Because, as you pointed out, the angle is in the 2nd quadrant. This means that θ is between ##\pi/2## and ##\pi## (roughly, between 1.5 and 3).

The sin-1 function returns an angle between ##-\pi/2## and ##\pi/2##, as does tan-1. The cos-1 function returns an angle between 0 ##\pi##, which was the correct interval for your angle.

Related to Finding the radian value of this angle which passes through a point

1. What is a radian and how is it different from a degree?

A radian is a unit of measurement for angles, just like degrees. However, radians are based on the radius of a circle, whereas degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. One radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc of length equal to the radius of the circle, while one degree is equal to 1/360th of a circle.

2. How do I convert an angle from degrees to radians?

To convert an angle from degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radian value = (degree value * pi) / 180. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a conversion table to find the equivalent radian value for a given degree measure.

3. What is the relationship between the radian value and the trigonometric functions?

The radian value of an angle is directly related to the values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions. In fact, the values of these trigonometric functions for a given angle in radians can be found by using the unit circle and measuring the coordinates of the point where the angle intersects with the circle.

4. How do I find the radian value of an angle that passes through a point?

To find the radian value of an angle that passes through a point, you need to know the coordinates of the point and use the inverse tangent function (arctan) to find the angle measure in radians. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and the angle's adjacent and opposite sides to determine the tangent ratio and then find the angle measure in radians.

5. Can I use degrees and radians interchangeably?

While degrees and radians are both units of measurement for angles, they cannot be used interchangeably. Degrees are useful for measuring angles in everyday situations, while radians are more commonly used in advanced mathematical and scientific calculations. It is important to use the appropriate unit of measurement depending on the context of the problem.