Finding the Radius of Convergence for $zsin(z^2)$ in Maclaurin Series

In summary, the conversation was about finding the radius of convergence for the function $zsin(z^2)$ when expanded into a Maclaurin series. The solution involved using the ratio test to find that the limit is 0, indicating that the function converges for all real numbers, making the radius of convergence infinite. One member of the conversation had some confusion about the steps taken in the ratio test, but it was clarified by another member.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I need explanation on why the answer for this problem is R = ∞.

Here's the question and the solution.

Expand the function into maclaurin series and find the radius of convergence.
$zsin(z^2)$

Solution:
$$zsin(z^2)=z\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{z^{2(2n+1)}}{(2n+1)!}$$

Divide both sides by z,

$$sin(z^2)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{z^{2(2n+1)}}{(2n+1)!}$$

So here's the calculation but I don't know how to get the radius of convergence. Answer is ∞.

Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• IMG_6667.jpg
    IMG_6667.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
I think the ratio test should start off like this

[itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2(n+1)+1)})}{(2(n+1)+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{(-1)^{n} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2n+1)}} | [/itex]

You should find that the limit is 0, so R = ∞.

Mogarrr said:

[itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2(n+1)+1)})}{(2(n+1)+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{(-1)^{n} \cdot z^{2 \cdot (2n+1)}} | [/itex]

That's what I did, only that I use the formula to find R directly, instead of L because R is just 1/L.
Could you show me the steps until you get 0, please? Because as you see mine, I got 4 :/

Mogarrr said:

Oh, I get it now! I just googled about limits and learned it again. I think I understand now why the lmit is infinity. Thanks!

For others who might be wondering here is your mistake: near the end you have
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|-4n^2+ 10n+ 6\right|[/tex]
and then immediately have
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|-(4- \frac{10}{n}- \frac{6}{n^2})\right|[/tex]
where you have divided by n^2. Obviously you cannot do that! You have essentially factored out "[itex]n^2[/itex]" and should have
[tex]\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}n^2\right)\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|4- \frac{10}{n}- \frac{6}{n^2}\right|\right)[/tex]

The limit on the right is 4 but the limit on the left is [itex]\infty[/itex]. Their product is "[itex]\infty[/itex]".

MissP.25_5 said:
That's what I did, only that I use the formula to find R directly, instead of L because R is just 1/L.
Could you show me the steps until you get 0, please? Because as you see mine, I got 4 :/

I think there's some confusion about the ratio test. For a series [itex] \sum a_n [/itex], the ratio test is [itex] lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n} [/itex].

This is exactly what I started off with when I saw that you had simplified the series. I start off with

Since this is an absolute value, the [itex] -1 [/itex] terms can be ignored, and simplifying the exponents of the first fraction, you should see

[itex] lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {z^{4n+6}}{(2n+3)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{z^{4n+2}} | [/itex]

To simplify, observe that [itex] (2n+3)! = (2n+3) \cdot (2n+2) \cdot (2n+1)! [/itex], [itex] z^{4n+6} = z^{4n} \cdot z^6 [/itex] and that [itex] z^{4n+2} = z^{4n} \cdot z^2 [/itex].

So we have

[itex] lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac {z^{4n} \cdot z^6}{(2n+3) \cdot (2n+2) \cdot (2n+1)!} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)!}{z^{4n} \cdot z^2} | [/itex]

The [itex] z^{4n} [/itex]'s and [itex] (2n+1)! [/itex]'s cancel out. You can also factor the remaining z terms. This will leave you with

[itex] \frac {z^6}{z^2} lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1{(2n+3)(2n+2)} [/itex].

The limit is 0. Interpret this to mean, it does not matter what values you choose for the variable z. Any real number will work. So we have [itex] -\infty < z < \infty [/itex], so the radius of convergence is ∞.

If you like my explanation, be sure to "thank" me (hit the Thanks button). I have 0 "thank"s thus far, and I would like some.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding the Radius of Convergence for $zsin(z^2)$ in Maclaurin Series

What is the formula for finding the radius of convergence for a Maclaurin series?

The formula for finding the radius of convergence for a Maclaurin series is R = 1 / lim sup |an|1/n, where an is the coefficient of the n-th term in the series.

How do you determine the convergence of a Maclaurin series?

To determine the convergence of a Maclaurin series, we use the ratio test. The series will converge if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between the n+1-th term and the n-th term is less than 1. If the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and we must use another method to determine convergence.

Can a Maclaurin series have a radius of convergence of 0?

Yes, a Maclaurin series can have a radius of convergence of 0. This means that the series will only converge at the center point (in this case, z = 0) and will diverge for all other values of z.

What is the radius of convergence for $zsin(z^2)$ in Maclaurin series?

The radius of convergence for $zsin(z^2)$ in Maclaurin series is R = 1. This means that the series will converge for all values of z within a distance of 1 from the center point (in this case, z = 0).

How do you find the sum of a Maclaurin series?

To find the sum of a Maclaurin series, we can use the known formulas for the derivatives of sin(z) and cos(z). We can then plug in z = 0 to the series and simplify to find the sum. In the case of $zsin(z^2)$, we can use the Maclaurin series for sin(z) and replace z with z^2 to find the sum.