Finding the Range of a Function Using Graphs

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the range of a function can be found by graphing the function and looking at the values of y. For complicated functions, it may be necessary to find the inverse and use the domain of the inverse as the range of the original function. However, not all functions have an inverse and calculus can provide tools for sketching the graph of a function.
mathdad
Set 3.1
Question 16.

Find the range using the graph of y.

y = 125 - 12x^3

Obviously, I must graph the function as step one. How is the graph used to find the range?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you look at the values of $y$ ... $y \in (-\infty,\infty)$

[DESMOS=-6.723253753255145,6.375413083862618,-819.3444017457867,753.6024560560803]y=125-12x^3;[/DESMOS]

From the graph, I can see that it is ok for y to be ALL REAL NUMBERS. Of course, this is an easy function. What about for complicated functions? Can I apply the method of taking the inverse? The domain of the inverse function is the range of the original.

if you can find the inverse ... sometimes easier said than done

You have made it clear that finding the inverse can sometimes be overwhelmingly difficult. In terms of complicated functions, I use wolfram to find the inverse.

Not all functions have an inverse. Calculus provides several tools for sketching the graph of a function.

Thank you everyone for your help. You will see less questions from now on as I use the free youtube clips to review precalculus.

FAQ: Finding the Range of a Function Using Graphs

1. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values that result from inputting different values into the function. It can also be thought of as the set of all possible y-values on a graph.

2. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can either graph the function and look at the y-values, or you can algebraically manipulate the function to solve for the range. This may involve finding the maximum and minimum values of the function.

3. Can a function have an infinite range?

Yes, a function can have an infinite range if the function has no upper or lower bound on its output values. This often occurs with functions such as y = x or y = 1/x.

4. What is the difference between the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain represents the horizontal values on a graph, while the range represents the vertical values.

5. How does the range of a function relate to its graph?

The range of a function is directly related to its graph. The range can be determined by looking at the y-values on the graph, and the shape and behavior of the graph can give insight into the range of the function. For example, if a graph has a horizontal asymptote, the range may be limited to a certain interval.