Finding the Rate of Change of Area in a Changing Triangle

In summary, the problem presented involves finding the rate of change of the area of a triangle given the rates of change of the included angle and two sides. To solve this, one can use the cosine law to find the length of the third side and then apply Hero's formula for the area. Alternatively, a simpler method is to use trigonometry to write the altitude of the triangle as a function of the given sides and angle, and then differentiate the area formula with respect to time to find the rate of change of the area.
maymay43465
Need help guys, not understanding this at all. Can anyone help me out?

Two sides of a triangle and their included angle are changing with respect to time. The angle increases at the rate of 1 radian/sec, one side increases at the rate of 3ft/sec, and the other side decreases at the rate of 2ft/sec. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is changing when the angle is 45 degrees, the first is 4 feet long and the second side is 5 feet long. Is the area increasing or decreasing at this instant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are "given"the length of two sides and the angle between them, it shouldn't take too much to see that the cosine law gives you the length of the opposite side. Do you know a formula for the area of a triangle, given the lengths of the three sides? The derivative of both sides of that area formula, with respect to t should give you what you want.

question

Even if I am not sure I have a 90 degree angle this will work?

?? Did I say anything about a right angle? The "cosine law" works for any triangle, not just a right triangle. I was thinking about using the cosine law to find the length of the third side in terms of the other two and the angle between them, then using "Hero's formula" for the area.

Here is a much simpler way: first draw a picture. Draw your triangle with side of given length "a" as the base, the side with given length "b" going up from it and given angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between them. You know, I hope, that the area of a triangle is "1/2 base times height". You already have "a" as the length of the base. The "height" is measured perpendicular to the base so drop a perpendicular from the end of the second side to the base. The second side is then the hypotenuse, of length b, of a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. Use trig to write the "altitude", the length of that perpendicular as a function of b and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Now write the equation for the area of the triangle as a function of a, b, and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to time to get the rate of change of area.

Related to Finding the Rate of Change of Area in a Changing Triangle

What is the concept of "Related Rates area increase"?

The concept of "Related Rates area increase" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of the area of a shape with respect to time, by using the rates of change of its dimensions. It is commonly used in calculus to solve real-world problems involving changing quantities.

How do I identify when a problem involves "Related Rates area increase"?

You can identify a problem involving "Related Rates area increase" when you are given the rates of change of two or more variables that are related to each other, and you are asked to find the rate of change of a third variable that is derived from the first two.

What are the steps to solve a "Related Rates area increase" problem?

The first step is to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities. Then, write an equation that relates all the variables involved. Next, take the derivative of the equation with respect to time. Substitute in all known values and solve for the desired rate of change. Finally, include units and check your answer for reasonableness.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Related Rates area increase" problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the equation. Another mistake is substituting in the wrong values or not using the correct units. It is also important to carefully label all variables and be mindful of their relationship to each other. Lastly, always double-check your calculations and simplify your final answer if possible.

Can "Related Rates area increase" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, "Related Rates area increase" can be applied to many real-world situations, such as determining the rate at which the area of a swimming pool is changing as it is being filled, or finding the rate of change of the surface area of a balloon as it is being inflated. It is a useful concept in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

Back