Finding the Reaction Force in a Truss

In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of joints to find the reaction forces of A and B in a static equilibrium truss. One participant suggests using the equations of equilibrium and writing moment equations, while another suggests solving the problem without using these equations. The conversation ends with one participant showing their attempt at solving the problem, but ultimately getting a wrong answer.
Vicinity24

Homework Statement

EjdVTfu.png

Homework Equations

In static equilibrium the forces are = 0

Method of Joints

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to find the reaction forces of A and B. i know how to calculate the force of each member by working backwards from where F is applied but once I do that, how will I know the reaction force? isn't there an easier way using symmetry and do the lengths of the members matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vicinity24 said:

Homework Statement

EjdVTfu.png

Homework Equations

In static equilibrium the forces are = 0

Method of Joints

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to find the reaction forces of A and B. i know how to calculate the force of each member by working backwards from where F is applied but once I do that, how will I know the reaction force? isn't there an easier way using symmetry and do the lengths of the members matter?
The same equations of static equilibrium apply here like they do for all objects.

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the truss as a whole. You know that there will be reactions at A and B which keep the truss from moving and/or rotating.
Since you are given no other information, you can assume that the truss has no weight, so the reactions at A and be will depend only on the applied load F and where it is located.

SteamKing said:
The same equations of static equilibrium apply here like they do for all objects.

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the truss as a whole. You know that there will be reactions at A and B which keep the truss from moving and/or rotating.
Since you are given no other information, you can assume that the truss has no weight, so the reactions at A and be will depend only on the applied load F and where it is located.

So:

Ay+By =0

Ax+Bx=0

But how does this bring me any closer to finding out what each component actually is? Using a free body diagram ignoring the weight of the truss I get the horizontal components to be 0 and the vertical to be F/2 for Ay and 4/2 for By.

Vicinity24 said:
So:

Ay+By =0

Ax+Bx=0

But how does this bring me any closer to finding out what each component actually is? Using a free body diagram ignoring the weight of the truss I get the horizontal components to be 0 and the vertical to be F/2 for Ay and 4/2 for By.
Did you write any moment equations for this truss?

SteamKing said:
Did you write any moment equations for this truss?

Sorry but what is a moment equation?

Vicinity24 said:
Sorry but what is a moment equation?
You must be new to statics.

For a body to remain in equilibrium,

Σ F = 0
Σ M = 0

The moment is the tendency of a body or structure to rotate about a point due to an applied load acting on the body.

In the case of this particular truss, the applied load F tends to cause the truss to rotate about point A. As a free body, the reactions at A and B must not only keep the truss from translating in the y-direction, but they must also keep the truss from rotating about point A.

If this is unfamiliar to you, you may require some review of the equations of equilibrium, such as is presented in a course on statics.

This article provides a quick outline:

http://webassign.net/question_assets/buelemphys1/chapter10/section10dash11.pdf

SteamKing said:
You must be new to statics.

For a body to remain in equilibrium,

Σ F = 0
Σ M = 0

The moment is the tendency of a body or structure to rotate about a point due to an applied load acting on the body.

In the case of this particular truss, the applied load F tends to cause the truss to rotate about point A. As a free body, the reactions at A and B must not only keep the truss from translating in the y-direction, but they must also keep the truss from rotating about point A.

If this is unfamiliar to you, you may require some review of the equations of equilibrium, such as is presented in a course on statics.

This article provides a quick outline:

http://webassign.net/question_assets/buelemphys1/chapter10/section10dash11.pdf

We were taught Torque and Static Equilibrium. We're supposed to be able to do this problem with just the method of joints.

I understand that forces in the X and Y direction equal 0 meaning no rotation but how am I supposed to figure it out? I don't have a model truss to play around with and figure it out...

Edit: Do I do F*r?

Vicinity24 said:
We were taught Torque and Static Equilibrium. We're supposed to be able to do this problem with just the method of joints.

No one is stopping you.

If you don't feel comfortable writing the equilibrium equations for the truss as a whole, then don't. There's often more than one way to solve a problem.

SteamKing said:
No one is stopping you.

If you don't feel comfortable writing the equilibrium equations for the truss as a whole, then don't. There's often more than one way to solve a problem.

I went back and looked through the class notes for this topic and still I don't understand what you mean.
Can you at least get me started...?

I got:
Ay= 3F
By=-3F

Ax=(-3/2)F
Bx=(5/2)F

But I don't have an option from these so I'm guessing they are wrong?

Vicinity24 said:
I got:
Ay= 3F
By=-3F

Ax=(-3/2)F
Bx=(5/2)F

But I don't have an option from these so I'm guessing they are wrong?
It's not clear how you got these results. Can you show some of your work?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear how you got these results. Can you show some of your work?

ΣFy=0
Ay+By=F (Will just assume it is 1)
Ay+By=1

ΣFx=0
Ax+Bx=0

-------------------------

ΣMa=0
4Bx-12F=0
Bx=3N

Since Ax+Bx=0 then
Ax=-3N

--------------------------

ΣMb=0
3Ay+4*Bx-3By=0
3Ay+12-3By
Ay-By=-4

Ay=1-By (From the underlined equation)
so:
(1-By)-By=-4
-2By=-5
By=5/2

Knowing that:
Ay-(5/2)=-4
Ay=-3/2

It is however, wrong. It asks for magnitude so negatives don't matter but 5/2 isn't an option.

Vicinity24 said:
ΣFy=0
Ay+By=F (Will just assume it is 1)
Ay+By=1

ΣFx=0
Ax+Bx=0

-------------------------

ΣMa=0
4Bx-12F=0
Bx=3N

Since Ax+Bx=0 then
Ax=-3N

--------------------------

I agree with your work up to this point.
ΣMb=0
3Ay+4*Bx-3By=0
3Ay+12-3By
Ay-By=-4

Ay=1-By (From the underlined equation)
so:
(1-By)-By=-4
-2By=-5
By=5/2

Knowing that:
Ay-(5/2)=-4
Ay=-3/2

It is however, wrong. It asks for magnitude so negatives don't matter but 5/2 isn't an option.

You can write only one moment equation here. Since you wrote your moment equation about point A, you can't write another about point B.

Apparently, you are supposed to enter the horizontal and vertical components of the reactions at A and B separately.
Which of the choices from the list of available answers would most likely satisfy ΣFy = 0, given that the applied load is equal to F?

Likes Vicinity24
SteamKing said:
I agree with your work up to this point.You can write only one moment equation here. Since you wrote your moment equation about point A, you can't write another about point B.

Apparently, you are supposed to enter the horizontal and vertical components of the reactions at A and B separately.
Which of the choices from the list of available answers would most likely satisfy ΣFy = 0, given that the applied load is equal to F?

Oh,

Well i thought the y components of both would be F/2 as they add up nicely but the answer was wrong.

Or wait, since it's separate wouldn't it just be F for each?

Vicinity24 said:
Not if Ray + Rby - F = 0

SteamKing said:
Not if Ray + Rby - F = 0

So F/2?

Vicinity24 said:
Not sure what you mean. SteamKing agrees with your answer of 3F for the horizontal reaction at A. The problem asks for the magnitude of the horiz and vert reactions at A. If you think the horiz reaction at A is 3F and the vert reaction at A is F/2, then enter "ji". If however you think the horiz reaction at A is 3F and the vert reaction at A is F, enter "jf". Or if you think the horiz reaction at A is F and the vert reaction at A is F, enter "ff". Etcetera. I'm not sure what you are thinking.

PhanthomJay said:
Not sure what you mean. SteamKing agrees with your answer of 3F for the horizontal reaction at A. The problem asks for the magnitude of the horiz and vert reactions at A. If you think the horiz reaction at A is 3F and the vert reaction at A is F/2, then enter "ji". If however you think the horiz reaction at A is 3F and the vert reaction at A is F, enter "jf". Or if you think the horiz reaction at A is F and the vert reaction at A is F, enter "ff". Etcetera. I'm not sure what you are thinking.

I know how to format my answer but he said:

SteamKing said:
I agree with your work up to this point.You can write only one moment equation here. Since you wrote your moment equation about point A, you can't write another about point B.

So it got me a bit confused.

I thought the answer would be 3F and F/2 but that was wrong, and I have a limited number of attempts so I don't want to hastily guess.

Last edited:
Vicinity24 said:
I know how to format my answer but he said:
So it got me a bit confused.

I thought the answer would be 3F and F/2 but that was wrong, and I have a limited number of attempts so I don't want to hastily guess.
Well now the horizontal reaction magnitude at A is certainly 3F from equilibrium considerations, but the vertical reaction at A cannot be solved from statics alone, because the problem states that both supports are pinned and thus both capable of supporting vertical loads. I guess you have to assume the supports are rigid but the member AB is not. So if the vert reaction at A is not F/2 , what else might it be if you assume no vert reaction at B? Sort of an unfair question I'd say.

PhanthomJay said:
Well now the horizontal reaction magnitude at A is certainly 3F from equilibrium considerations, but the vertical reaction at A cannot be solved from statics alone, because the problem states that both supports are pinned and thus both capable of supporting vertical loads. I guess you have to assume the supports are rigid but the member AB is not. So if the vert reaction at A is not F/2 , what else might it be if you assume no vert reaction at B? Sort of an unfair question I'd say.

Then id say Ay is F. So would I say B is 0?

Yes give it shot. Hopefully you'll still have another guess left. Note the problem doesn't ask about reactions at B, even though the vert reaction at B may be 0.

Likes Vicinity24
PhanthomJay said:
Yes give it shot. Hopefully you'll still have another guess left. Note the problem doesn't ask about reactions at B, even though the vert reaction at B may be 0.

Yes, that was indeed the answer! (Ax=3F, Ay=F)

The next part of the question asks for B, which was also correct! (Bx=3F, By=0)

Thanks for the help Phantom and Steam!

Related to Finding the Reaction Force in a Truss

1. What is a truss and why is it important in engineering?

A truss is a structure made up of interconnected bars, typically used to support a load. It is important in engineering because it allows for large spans and heavy loads to be supported with minimal material, making it a cost-effective and efficient structural solution.

2. How do you determine the reaction forces in a truss?

The reaction forces in a truss can be determined by using the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing each individual joint in the truss, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into smaller sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the reaction forces in a truss?

The magnitude of the reaction forces in a truss is affected by the load applied to the truss, the geometry of the truss (length and angle of each member), and the support conditions (fixed, pinned, or roller).

4. Can the reaction forces in a truss be negative?

Yes, the reaction forces in a truss can be negative if the applied load causes the truss to experience compression instead of tension. This can occur when the load is applied in a direction that pushes the truss members closer together, rather than pulling them apart.

5. How do you ensure the stability of a truss when finding the reaction forces?

To ensure the stability of a truss when finding the reaction forces, it is important to check the equilibrium of the entire structure. This means that the sum of all forces in the x and y direction must be equal to zero and the sum of all moments must also be equal to zero. If the truss is not in equilibrium, then the calculated reaction forces may not be accurate.

Back